CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #21
Camille Lore

Profile:
Re: Heart skipping a beat?

I'll take you word for it, bud! Yesterday I couldn't get enough of those Circus Peanut candies. Ok, I only had 4, but.... that or broccoli...
Zoning is a bit difficult at the moment lol.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
I'll take you word for it, bud! Yesterday I couldn't get enough of those Circus Peanut candies. Ok, I only had 4, but.... that or broccoli...
Zoning is a bit difficult at the moment lol.
Oh, I like those.... don't get me started on girl scout cookies this time of year. They're everywhere! We just decided to buy some and cheat and get it over with. We put them on our cheat day. I had a couple extra on my extended rest this last week.

But they are goooooooo-ooooood.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #23
Bob Guere

Profile:

For those that might be following this thread still. I ran the 5k yesterday, started slow, let my lungs catch up, then finished at a "normal" pace. Didn't push too hard. No problems.

However, I had a real hard time sleeping last night, and as a result, I'm tired today and my PACs are occurring again. One thing I do on workout days that doesn't usually happen is a late snack. And, it's usually a protein/milk/fruit shake. I'm thinking that is keeping me up.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #24
Camille Lore

Profile:

Interesting- I did 2.5k yesterday. I felt one little flutter last night when I got home and was sitting on the couch. It was a great excuse to eat some guacamole!
Have you noticed any other muscle twitches? I think my flutters are preceded by my L eye twitching. At that point, I either drink about 64 ozs of gatorade or take some calcium, magnesium and daily vitamins. I learned recently that potassium isn't in multivits tho.
I think I'm having this whole issue less frequently.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #25
Bob Guere

Profile:

Not any other muscle twitches. I do feel fatigued when it's going on. And my breathing tends to be a little labored sometimes. Half the time I feel like something more serious is going on, the other half I'm fine with it. Hopefully the doc will have some answers for me at my next visit.

I noticed the lack of potassium in multi-v's too.... I read how adding a potassium supplement outside of daily food intake can actually take you in the other direction if you load up on it too much.

Thanks for reminding me to take my supps... I'll do that now!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 AM   #26
Dave Randolph

Profile:

I've been dealing with similar stuff on and off for years. Been to doc 3 or 4 times since 1993. Had treadmill test 3 times, nothing.
Now in the past 6 months or so it has been more frequent & more annoying. Then I got a full blown case of GERD. Did a course of Prilosec which seemed to help. That was about a month ago. The symptoms have come back.

Just got 200 pills of generic off ebay and started on them again Tuesday

I found that doing a hard workout makes me feel better and the weird sensations go away for awhile.
Saw doc yesterday & he didn't seem concerned and told me to keep on with what I'm doing. So I killed my self

I will trying drinking Gatorade to see if it is the electrolyte levels.

Very informative thread
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #27
Bob Guere

Profile:

Interesting Dave, I've been suffering from GERD since about 1992. I've been on zantac and now prilosec the whole time. Wonder if there's a connection.

Anyone else with the PACs have frequent heartburn/GERD?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #28
Michele Weeks

Profile:

I've had this experience and at first it was quite scary. I actually took myself to the emergency room the first time it happened.

After meeting with the cardiologist and then going for further tests it was deemed as premature ventricular contractions. Nothing to be worried about. I notice it more when I'm not working out. The cough you mention is a reflexive response of the body when there are heart palpitations to try to get it to stop. Often it's the cough that alerts me to the fact that my heart beat is off.

Keep in mind, I have had my skipped heart beat diagnosed and I know what to do and take to stop to stop it. It's best to have any heart issue checked out throroughly so you can have peace of mind and clearance to go ahead and workout out.

Hope this gives you some helpful insight.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:17 AM   #29
Camille Lore

Profile:

No heartburn/GERD problems here at all!
I haven't noticed this problem as much in the last few weeks. I did buy some avocado and I have a bit of guacamole now and then.
I've also been concentrating on the gatorade on my martial arts nights (once a week) and trying to watch my salt intake....
Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #30
Bob Guere

Profile:

Somewhat of an update.... and a question for you all.

The update is; my blood work was normal, but they still want to check lipids and thyroid (I don't know why that was not in the first round of tests, but whatevever). I don't have too much to worry about as long as it's not re-occuring anymore. I've been pretty symptom free for about 3-4 days now.

Another issue the cardiologist had with my 24 hour Holter monitor test was two periods when my heart rate was in the mid 30's. He didn't like that too much. The first time was before I went to bed, at a time I remember I was chillin' on the couch with the family. The second time was after 10 PM and I know I was in bed well before that.

So my question is about CFers and resting heart rates? Do you guys and gals have low resting HRs? My Dad is an avid runner and has run dozens of marathons and some 40 milers, etc. He continues at 73 to run very regularly and is considering another marathon. But, his heartrate is in the 30's at night regularly. He was overnight in the hospital once and they were very concerned but when it got to about 36 and didn't go lower, they chalked it up to a strong heart and lungs not having to work as hard to get O2 to the body...

Any thoughts?