CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Lorenzo Sponzilli

Profile:
pendlay squta stand vs rogue s-2

hi, for you, which are the best system between this two squat stand, that with screws and bots of the rogue or this with the incline bar behind the verticals pillars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	limegreenss1.jpg
Views:	1797
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	10971  Click image for larger version

Name:	s1-storage-1.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	10972  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: pendlay squta stand vs rogue s-2

They're both going to be solid pieces of equipment--the parts you have circled will mainly affect how they're shipped. Rogue's stand will probably ship cheaper because they're able to break it down and ship it flatter. It's mainly a matter of personal preference and price since you can't go wrong with either.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Keith Miller

Profile:

I think you can get the Pendlay stand as a bolted unit also. I'm also going back and forth over these two, but with a pull-up bar. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll pull the trigger on one of them!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Dan Thomas

Profile:

The S-2's base beams are 3"W, and 2"H (wider than they are tall). Based on the picture, the Pendlay looks to be the reverse (taller than it is wide).

I've never used the Pendlay, but I'd be willing to bet the S-2 is more stable because of that.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
The S-2's base beams are 3"W, and 2"H (wider than they are tall). Based on the picture, the Pendlay looks to be the reverse (taller than it is wide).

I've never used the Pendlay, but I'd be willing to bet the S-2 is more stable because of that.
Stability is not defined by the square footage of the contact area, but by the square footage and shape of the footprint between the edges of the contact points. In short, the stand with the wider and/or longer base will be more stable

Other factors include the weight and center of gravity (I mean you can make an argument that you moved the CoG lower by orienting the base in that manner, but that only assumes that the uprights are the same height/weight and the base has the same footprint). In any case, you have to take in ALL the factors when judging stability.

Hey Keith, don't you already have a squat rack at home? What do you currently have?

Last edited by Jeremy Galo : 01-14-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
Stability is not defined by the square footage of the contact area, but by the square footage and shape of the footprint between the edges of the contact points. In short, the stand with the wider and/or longer base will be more stable

Other factors include the weight and center of gravity (I mean you can make an argument that you moved the CoG lower by orienting the base in that manner, but that only assumes that the uprights are the same height/weight and the base has the same footprint). In any case, you have to take in ALL the factors when judging stability.

Hey Keith, don't you already have a squat rack at home? What do you currently have?
I've just got one of those cheap, bodysolid racks. Hate the bar holders as they are not flat, but have a raised portion in the middle to strengthen the thin steel.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
Chris Jones

Profile:

FWIW i just struggled with the same decision, seems to be a common one. I ended up going with the S-2, i just cant help but believe it to be sturdier in construction even though the Pendlay is welded. I was also concerned that the Pendlay may be wobbly when doing pullups if my floor wasnt perfectly level, this shouldnt be an issue with the Rogue as you can let it settle before you torque all the bolts down. There are also more options and accessories for the Rogue which is never a bad thing IMO. Good luck man, either one will be a huge improvement over what you have now!