CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Sid Cranston

Profile:
bumper plate questions

all of the bumper plate sets or kits I have found include 10 and 15 lb bumper plates but at my box, I have found it to be more beneficial to use 5 and 10 lb. steel plates especially in certain WODS when I want to lift heavier early in the rep scheme but think I might run out of gas towards the end. It is super quick and easy to rip off the steel plates. I guess the only downside is that they do make a bit more of a racket when dropping the weights.

Next... I am in Arizona and would like to get a bar and some used bumpers if I can save on shipping from either Pheonix or Vegas (I'm closer to Vegas). Rogue has a better price on bumpers but the shipping is almost $200 for what I want.

So... 1) anyone in my area interested in selling? and 2) any other downside to using the cheapy steel lighter plates on the outsides and also saving money?

I love my box but I am packing up and heading to parts unknown in a conversion van and want a mobile gym to take with me. Also, if it matters, I will probably be doing WODS on the beach in the sand in a saltwater environment. I already have my ab mat, jump rope, some misc. dumb bells, and a wall ball. Now I mostly need bumpers and bar.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Jeremy Lockhart

Profile:
Re: bumper plate questions

If you snag a bar and bumper set from Rogue then it should include free shipping. Would probably work out good in your situation.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

FringeSport.com (WFS) has free shipping and good prices.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Cranston View Post

So... 1) anyone in my area interested in selling? and 2) any other downside to using the cheapy steel lighter plates on the outsides and also saving money?
1) always check craigslist.. if you have time, you may be able to find something. that being said, there are sites that sell with free shipping..
http://www.muscledriverusa.com/Pendl...123_p_822.html WFS
http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...nt/weight-sets WFS

There are sets that don't include the 10/15lbers, so you've got that option too.

2) The only thing it will do is add stress on the bumpers. Simple maths.... the same force on less surface area. May affect the longevity if you're adding 10lb metal plates while only having 25lb bumpers on both sides. But, if you have 225lb in bumpers on your bar and add 5-10 lb in metal, it won't make a difference.

If you're only working out outside on the sand or grass, just go completely metal? I've done it, and it works fine... you'll make divots in the grass, but it shouldn't be a big deal if you're in an unused field.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Mike Hollister

Profile:

Just use kettlebells. Far better weight/space ratio.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Sid Cranston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hollister View Post
Just use kettlebells. Far better weight/space ratio.
I am thinking the plates will lie flat on the floor, taking up a minimum of van space.

To all- it seems the Rogue pricing is better than others but because I am in Arizona, I am in the "grey zone" on the map and that adds a lot to shipping cost. The competitors that have free shipping typically charge substantially more for the plates.

All metal plates are appealing but I imagine I will not always be on the beach and a nice flat patch of asphalt or sidewalk would be appealing. Also, the Rogue bar pictures show a C-clip that looks like I could pop the ends off to clean them in case I dropped the bar in the sand. I definitely don't want to ruin the bearings / roller action if one end of a bar does fall into sand. Sooner or later, with a combination of tequila, tacos, and testosterone, that will probably happen.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Bret Young

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Cranston View Post
I am thinking the plates will lie flat on the floor, taking up a minimum of van space.

To all- it seems the Rogue pricing is better than others but because I am in Arizona, I am in the "grey zone" on the map and that adds a lot to shipping cost. The competitors that have free shipping typically charge substantially more for the plates.

All metal plates are appealing but I imagine I will not always be on the beach and a nice flat patch of asphalt or sidewalk would be appealing. Also, the Rogue bar pictures show a C-clip that looks like I could pop the ends off to clean them in case I dropped the bar in the sand. I definitely don't want to ruin the bearings / roller action if one end of a bar does fall into sand. Sooner or later, with a combination of tequila, tacos, and testosterone, that will probably happen.
I am in the same boat. Been looking at getting some bumpers but live in CA so even though Rogue has the best prices, the shipping makes them more than some others. The link posted above for Fringe is priced competitively with Rogue if it indeed has free shipping. Pretty close..
Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

You can get 190# of bumpers from FringeSport for $315, shipped. From Rogue, its $380 plus shipping. I love both companies but you can't really compare the prices.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Bret Young

Profile:

I should have specified. I was just talking about Hi-Temps.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Young View Post
I should have specified. I was just talking about Hi-Temps.
I don't get why specifically getting hi-temps would matter if money is an issue? I understand a lot of people like them but if you're trying to save money then I don't see why it matters.