CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-01-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
Jason Erickson

Profile:
I see a lot of people using standard exercises and that's great, but I always get more interested when I see people having success by applying their own creativity. That's one of the things I like about Crossfit - lots of room for personal exploration! I look forward to seeing what other new ideas you folks come up with, so here I will share one of my own.

For those of you playing with Clubbells, I highly recommend Mills. Before doing Mills, develop excellent form with Inside Pendulums and Shield Casts. Mills are a flowing combination of these.

The only part of doing Mills that bothered me was stopping to switch hands. I figured out a solution and call it the Mill Pivot-Switch. I am sharing it here because it's just one example of how to take a standard exercise and add skill sophistication by applying your own creativity. To me, the ability to perform increasingly sophisticated movements is as important as performing movements with heavier weights or in a shorter amount of time.

Here's a clip showing the movement from the front. I normally make the switch every 5-10 reps, but you can alternate every rep too:

Here's a clip showing the movement from the side. Notice how the CB stays in a line and my body moves to accommodate it:

Wow, I look at myself in that clip now and laugh. I've dropped over 20 lbs since then as my training focus shifted and I started cleaning up my diet. :lol:

Anyway, those of you who want to try it should work up to it. I've written an article showing a complete progression that will safely get you there, AFTER you have already developed a good Mill. You can find the article here:
http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/38/erickson.html

Thanks for letting me share something in return for everything I'm learning here. I hope you enjoy it!
Attached Files
File Type: email Alternating Mills - Side.avi (3.96 MB, 254 views)
Old 11-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Jason
Where is a good place to get clubbells from? Would one be enough?

Also should I try making them, or is it worth it to have the real thing?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:49 AM   #3
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Ian -

There's a ton of free info that you can access from my web site www.ClubbellTrainer.com . There's also a "Products" link that will get you to the ordering page.

You can accomplish PLENTY with a single Clubbell. I strongly recommend getting the "Clubbell Training for Circular Strength" DVD too. It's very important to make sure you are using proper form.

Get a real Clubbell, as homemade equipment is far more dangerous than using a real one. The dangers of homemade CBs include the risk of filler material shifting while in use, resulting in unexpected variations in torque while moving through extreme ranges of motion (imagine shredding your shoulder, elbow, or wrist) and possible product failure (imagine 12 pounds of sand exploding from a shattered plastic tube). With a real Clubbell, the quality of the equipment eliminates those risks and it will last as long as you do.