CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-03-2005, 04:41 AM   #11
Miguel Verissimo

Profile:  
Let me analyse your video there:
(I gave this exact same advice to other guy here in the forum, so I have copied and pasted parts of what I wrote then)

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/16686.gif
1. you are starting with your elbows bent. what you want to do is having your arms hanging, relaxed but with a firm grip, and let them hang as you start the deadlift part and just bend them in the last pull of the clean, in sequence with your feet and shoulders. the idea is using the momentum to get the bar up there, so the correct pulling sequence is feet-shoulders-elbows. This is to say that the elbow bend is just auxiliary, the strenght lies in the legs and shoulders. Maintain your arms relaxed during the entire pull part. Save them for the jerk.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/16687.gif
2. you are "jumping" on the last part of the pull. your feet should never leave the floor, if they do it means bad form, because you are not transfering the force to the weight correctly. What you should do is using your force and power to do a slingshot movement, but slings only work when there's an oposite force to them. yours is gravity, so those feet must stay on the ground to "connect" you with the negative force. I'm probably confusing you here. bottom line: feet allways on the floor. remeber the correct sequence on the pull: feet-shoulders-elbows. do this in slow-motion, and work your speed up, eventually you'll understand the "sling" explanation I gave up there.

3. Elena, besides the back position already mentioned you are starting the pull early, you have to have your body fairly upright when you do the pull. (sorry, i'm adding this on an editm so I cant upload a picture, but frame-by-frame your side video, and you'll see what I'm talking about)

To correct this you should try to do pulls, like you are cleaning, but focusing on getting the bar to go up to your chest, in a very relaxed but controlled manner. Start light, and work your weight up only when you have perfect form. These are whole body exercises, and you must work up to the perfect sync between the different bodyparts.

Use the video resource and quicktime to see it frame-by-frame, and auto-diagnose your progress.

hope this helps, sorry for my bad english.

(Message edited by mack on December 03, 2005)
Old 12-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #12
Gene Folgo

Profile:
Thank you very much Miguel. We will incorporate your advice (and that of others above) and hopefully repost better lifts in the next few weeks. Your English is excellent, absolutely no need to apologize.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to help. The generosity of the Crossfit community is outstanding.

Gene