CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-13-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
Nathan Hebert

Profile:
Hello to all,
Let me get right to it - my work schedule is very volatile making it hard for me to keep a regular excercise program. Periodic travel makes it even more difficult because the "fitness" rooms at hotels aren't exactly state of the art. A few of my co-workers turned me on to the cross-fit program and from the research I've done, it sounds like a good way to get results. I think I'm in relatively good shape but I'm looking for a great deal more strength and endurance.

Do you guys think this program will work with such a variable schedule and travel? Basically, can this program be modified to be done in a hotel room? I really like the aspect of the program but I don't want to start a new program only to find out that it is not going to work with my schedule. Also, how long does a normal workout take from warm-up to cool down?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Nate
Old 02-13-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Nate, welcome to CrossFit!
Most of my clients are very busy professionals, in fact one is a heart surgeon. They don't have time to waste, and that is why they chose CrossFit.
I put them through a complete workout in 30 minutes.
Hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
Nick Cruz

Profile:
There are plenty of body weight excersizes and WOD's that can be done with no equipment. Crossfit's own Eva T has a blog with daily bodyweight WOD's. These would be well suited for your hotel stays.

Nick
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I would say that you can do some stuff in a hotel room but that even a basic hotel gym with light dumbbells and an exercise bike can be used productively. Look at the WODs listed on the main page and you'll see that quite a few involve running, pullups, pushups, situps, etc. Thrusters are killers (for me anyway) with light weights like you'd have in a hotel gym. You can jump up on to staircases. So yes, you can certainly do a lot of this in a hotel gym.

O lifting is the main thing that requires specialized equipment if you have any possibility of dropping the weights. But even there you can avoid the maxes and just do the 21-15-9 workouts where you can choose a weight where you stop before you fail.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
James McCann

Profile:
Hi. I am new here as well. My access to a gym is limited. It was mentioned that Eve T. has a blog with bodyweight WODs. Where woyld i find that? Thank you.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Sorry,

I forgot the w/f safe link to Eva T's website.

http://www.skievat.blogspot.com/
Old 02-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
James McCann

Profile:
Thanks alot for such a quick response. appreciate it.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:17 AM   #8
Nathan Hebert

Profile:
Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. Its good to know that this is something that I can do even with extensive traveling and an ever changing schedule!
My next question: In his response above, Frank Dimeo said that he has clients that he trains in Crossfit in about 30 min a day. As I am new to Crossfit does anyone know of any Crossfit trainers in the North Bergen, NJ area? (North Bergen is just outside NYC, south of Ft. Lee and North of Hoboken.) I would like to run through a few weeks of classes (schedule permitting) in order to get the understanding of the basic exercises down and the correct form. I'm familiar with the standard lifting exercises but not too sure about some of the not-so-conventional ones.

Thanks
Nate
Old 02-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #9
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Nate,first of all--WELCOME! I am an avid CFer. I live in Rockland County and train with the most awesome group in NYC. Do you ever get into the city? Check out the website aat www.crossfitnyc.org Maybe you could come in on the weekends....It would def be worth your time!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
Bill Russell

Profile:
Nathan,

I travel often and the CF approach fits perfectly for me. Meaning anything at high intesity mixing strength, speed, plyo type combinations. Tabata routines work great, pushups/squats/chair dips/walking lunges. Find a school or park for pullup bars, obstacles to vault over, etc.

When I travel, I stop at a Walgreens type store and buy two gallon jugs of spring water, and one 2.5 gallon container if they have one. Now I have two 8 pound dumbells and one 20lber! 89 cents each and maybe $2.50 for the big one. As I drink the spring water I refill the bottles from the tap so I still have my dumbells-as Arthur says, "it's a perfect crime!"

You get really funny looks when you do thrusters with a 2.5 gallon jug. I do what I call a thruster shot, which is like a wall ball shot without the wall. I squat holding the water jug at chest level and as I do the push press I heave the jug as high as I can and catch it on the way down into the next squat. It's harder than it sounds, especially with sweaty hands.

Instead of box jumps, I take a pool lounge chair and jump over it sideways back and forth 20-30 times per set. Find a tree with a couple branches within reach and climb up a ways, drop down and repeat 10 times. Think like a kid and the list becomes endless. Crossfit has made me much more creative.

I am always done with my workouts in less than 30 minutes, as long as we aren't counting the 12 ounce curls that usually follow :gunsmilie:

Nick, thanks for the link for Eva's site, I'll definitely check it out for more BW ideas.

Bill Russell
Future CrossFit Cleveland Affiliate:stirthepot: