CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Florsie Amaral

Profile:
Hello fellow CF'rs. I am seeking any & all words of wisdom. I am trying to return to CF. Last year I was in great shape feeling pretty invincible & totally addicted to CF. In January I returned getting my feet a little wet with CF once again finding out the mountain that I am to climb is much steeper than I encountered. My original plan was to go to the Fire Academy FT then Iraq for a year then who knows open my very own CF in Florida...unfortunately I got an illness that lasted for 8m & now I am surviving an injury from taking steroids & antibiotics which caused damage to my tendon - right ankle. The steroids and other meds gave me bad side effects including bad weight...Everytime I watch the wod videos I get so psyched. Annie, Nicole, well everybody inpspires me. Finding out how out of shape I got is a bit discouraging. I need to find out the best way to raise my endurance and strength so I can play with other CF'rs. Yes I am in an airsplint and am limited temporarily. But mentally I am going insane.....I hate to keep using my prob as a disclaimer when seeking advice not use to having excuses I am normally the one that pushes the envelope ten fold...I want to come back to CF FT after all CF is my world...
Old 02-20-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Do you have access to a C2? Your current state of being makes rowing your best bet for now. I am on a rowing kick for 2007 and am rowing every day. I'm at a quarter million meters so far on my way to at least 1,600,000 meters so I can say I rowed 1,000 miles this year. Rowing uses a lot of muscle mass and you can do it...or should be able to do it with your messed up ankle. If you don't have one put it on your short list and try to put one in your house.

Do you have access to excited training partners? If not, get some. Gather friends with similar goals and work out a schedule that you will each hold the other to so that you remain consistant with your training goals.

What are your goals? Getting the body back that you had in your avatar (I can only guess that you are unhappy with additions to that frame as no one in their right mind would complain about that physique) is probably among them so print that picture out and stick it to your fridge or someplace else where you see it all the time. We are what we think about all the time and you need to look at what you have been and become that again.

Work on your diet and fuel yourself as if you were a nitro fuel buring funny car not a farm tractor. Dial in your Zone eating and consider food fuel instead of as a reward, pleasure factory or entertainment source. Write down what you eat, everything you eat so you can monitor what you are putting in your funny car.

You are on the right track, in the right place and seeking help from the right people. No better support group than this board and no better collection of helpful minds. Make some loft goals and stay the course girl, there's a Nicole hiding under whatever winter coat you put on. Go find her.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
Florsie Amaral

Profile:
Thank you for your feedback greatly appreciated. Glad you like the pic in my avatar its when I began seeing bad results via medications. I wish I could have remained in that form..it wouldnt be so hard to bounce back. In that pic I had already gained half of the 23lbs that I gained in all due to my meds...I feel like I gave birth to a semi! I posted that pic to give me a goal. I am not physically destitute however not in the best condition. In fact before I got sick I weighed a solid 135 all muscle that is a better pic but I wanted to set small goals first so I can see results and not dissapointment. I gained a nasty 23 lbs from the meds I feel like a blowfish slowly deflating....
As far as a rower great idea, I was thinking about buying one rather find one used for sale. I am in the mid of making my own pukie station at home even though I have to wait to do most of the wod's. I just moved to Palm Beach County so most of m workout buddies are in the next county so I get together with them occassionally to workout. My goals are very high, last year even though I was in great shape my goals were to excel in many aspects physically now I am sort of at ground zero....it's all good I am determined. The Zone....I am going to check out the site and book to see how I need to make some changes.
Thanks again....
Florsie
Old 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Make big goals...but just live them one day at a time....broken into smaller daily goals...

Find a way today to make you closer to your goal down the road. Make little victories every day and stay motivated. Don't get discouraged. There are always setbacks in everyone's life...we are however defined by how we react and come back from them.

Health and Fitness is a daily journey...so make it a daily goal setting....and before you know it....you will be well on your way...
Old 02-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
David Aguasca

Profile:
i second mike's comments, and add my own.

i certainly don't have the volume of life experience that mike and eugene have, but i think i have something to add.

i developed type I diabetes (insulin dependent) almost exactly 2 years ago. i haven't had it as long as many people, but i've learned a bit about perseverance and health. sometimes when i think about how the disease limits me, i'm totally overwhelmed. what i've learned is not to think about the problem as a giant obstacle, but many different ones. like the different between jumping 1000 3-foot hurdles and jumping one 3000-foot hurdle. sure, 1000 is a lot, but you can do it...it just takes time. a 3000-foot hurdle is intimidating and impossible.

i don't let my disease limit me. i just have to think ahead and plan for trips, for work, for workouts, a little more than most people.

i hope that helps, and makes sense. best wishes!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Florsie Amaral

Profile:
:bowdown:THANK YOU Mike, David and Eugene....your advice and positive feedback are greatly appreciated. I just bought The Zone book tonight cant wait to get started. I will be on the hunt for a rowing machine...I am so anxious to dive in but definitely want the tendon to heal properly sooooo :giveup: I shall choose my wod's carefully. I love the hurdle analogy that is right up my alley. This week I plan on still finishing my pukie station at home so it will be ready for me. Well if you have any more words of wisdom I am here with open arms....:biggrinthumb:Thanks again
Old 02-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Flrosie, I seem to remember some of your posts from back when. Like here:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/20285.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/19777.html

You're back on the right track. Zone is definitely the way to go. I particularly liked the "Enter the Zone" book, as it explains the underlying science and theory behind the Zone, but I'm a bit of a geek. It does, however, help to keep me on the straight and narrow (for the most part).
You've posted your workout log and I'm sure with your avatar you'll not lack for people helping to keep you motivated on your way to your goals.:msn-wink:
One simple piece of advice - Be patient and don't beat yourself up. You've had an injury/significant setback. It happens. You'll get through this. You're young and have many years of this life ahead of you. So, if you miss a workout, no biggie. Just get back to it. If you have a cheat meal - eh, it happens.
As a final word, I am always inspired by this video - it was posted on the boards some time ago. (link is w/f safe and extremely inspiring.)
http://cjcphoto.com/can/
CAN.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
Florsie Amaral

Profile:
Dale wow you made me :crybaby0: but you also gave put a fire under my butt for the evening...I was having a little trouble today well most of my day and then I read your posting and well it reminded me of some fond memories of kids I use to help with olympics that had spina bifida (long time ago) I needed it so I thank you:bowdown:.......I did get the zone book ...I eat very similar to the plan, you just wouldnt believe it by the end result via meds:-( but I cant wait to get into CF hardcore....I dont think I am going to be able to buy a c2 rowing machine anytime soon and since I am on hold for running yet not sure how I am going to jumpstart the cardio just yet, but I shall continue to do what wod's I am allowed to do....Thanks again glad you like my avatar :msn-wink:
Old 02-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
Hi Florsie;

Can you give us an update on your progress? You'll inspire alot of people by continuing to post. Please do so.

Best,
Kevin
Old 03-01-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
Florsie Amaral

Profile:
Hello Kevin...
I just started the zone less than a week ago. It has been an interesting adjustment and still continues to be. I probably am making it more diff than necessary. As far as my wod's I am a bit limited due to my ankle. I skipped a few postings on my log = internet issues :-( but I have been doing crunches, squats, pushups not many CF wods since Feb 25. Today's wod I will be doing...cant wait! I will post it most def tonight....Thanks for asking.