CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Kristian Wolowidnyk
Member Kristian Wolowidnyk is offline
 
Kristian Wolowidnyk's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Edmonton  Alberta
Posts: 63
Re: solid supplements to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Around 4-500mg of magesium and 25-30mg of zinc daily.
cool thanks, is that based off of body weight or is that something that is widely recommended??
__________________
Might as well live like a savage and train like a motherf***er
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
Adam Shreim
Member Adam Shreim is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 437
Re: solid supplements to take

I like the ETS. I only supplement with a multivitamin, creatine and a protein powder. I forget to take my fish oil ALL of the time. However, I tried the ETS and don't like going without it.

I am doing a repeat of a program I did the past that made me exceptionally sore. Except this time, the weights I am using are MUCH heavier. I don't feel the constant need to "out-eat" my soreness. Some of it is adaptation. Some of it is diet. I still feel like a small part of it is the ETS.

My shoulders, knees and wrists don't really feel beat up, either, and none of my technique has changed.

I guess I should try to get back into the habit of taking fish oil after this post, but I felt like tossing the ETS recommendation out there. Especially since you posted in another forum that you want to do competitor programming (what I am doing is very similar).
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: solid supplements to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Wolowidnyk View Post
cool thanks, is that based off of body weight or is that something that is widely recommended??
Not really specific to BW.

Chris Mason
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: solid supplements to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
I like the ETS. I only supplement with a multivitamin, creatine and a protein powder. I forget to take my fish oil ALL of the time. However, I tried the ETS and don't like going without it.

I am doing a repeat of a program I did the past that made me exceptionally sore. Except this time, the weights I am using are MUCH heavier. I don't feel the constant need to "out-eat" my soreness. Some of it is adaptation. Some of it is diet. I still feel like a small part of it is the ETS.

My shoulders, knees and wrists don't really feel beat up, either, and none of my technique has changed.

I guess I should try to get back into the habit of taking fish oil after this post, but I felt like tossing the ETS recommendation out there. Especially since you posted in another forum that you want to do competitor programming (what I am doing is very similar).
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts on the product (ETS).
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: solid supplements to take

A little surprised that people are advising you what to supplement with without first having asked what you are eating day to day.

Doing Zone and eating clean isn't really all that descriptive.

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #16
Kristian Wolowidnyk
Member Kristian Wolowidnyk is offline
 
Kristian Wolowidnyk's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Edmonton  Alberta
Posts: 63
Re: solid supplements to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
A little surprised that people are advising you what to supplement with without first having asked what you are eating day to day.

Doing Zone and eating clean isn't really all that descriptive.

- Mark
20 blocks per day

protein comes from eggs,pork,steak, salmon, and chicken

carbs come from 75% fruits and 25% vegtables



2 times fat primarily from almonds

im pretty consistant (I have to be, im on medication that makes it near impossible to loose weight without consistency)

I have 1 cheat meal every 2 weeks which consists of either pizza or sushi

hope that explains enough

height in 6'2" and bodyweight is a softish 245lbs
__________________
Might as well live like a savage and train like a motherf***er
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #17
Luke Sirakos
Member Luke Sirakos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 858
Re: solid supplements to take

Do you have any goals you are looking to achieve? Lose weight, gain weight, gain strength, put on muscle mass, etc?
__________________
Deadlift: 475 | Back Squat: 405 | Front Squat: 320
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #18
Kristian Wolowidnyk
Member Kristian Wolowidnyk is offline
 
Kristian Wolowidnyk's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Edmonton  Alberta
Posts: 63
Re: solid supplements to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Do you have any goals you are looking to achieve? Lose weight, gain weight, gain strength, put on muscle mass, etc?
loose fat, ive been powerlifting for awhile so im not worried about loosing strength as ive got a bit to spare

id like to get better at metcons and bodyweight movements as these are my weaknesses
__________________
Might as well live like a savage and train like a motherf***er
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #19
Luke Sirakos
Member Luke Sirakos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 858
Re: solid supplements to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Wolowidnyk View Post
loose fat, ive been powerlifting for awhile so im not worried about loosing strength as ive got a bit to spare

id like to get better at metcons and bodyweight movements as these are my weaknesses
So I am not familiar with the whole Zone diet, what little I know about it is that it is essentially a way to control your macro consumption. What I would do if I were you is track my calories/macro's, make sure you are eating enough protein (1g per lb lean body mass to 1g per lb body weight is plenty), and then slowly lower you other macro's so that you are consuming less calories.

Let's say your maintenance calorie level is 3000 per day meaning you neither gain nor lose weight at 3000 calories. I would keep your protein level at what I recommended above and begin lowering your overall caloric intake by 10-20% (2400 - 2700 calories). Stick with that for a couple weeks and weigh yourself again and see how you fare. If you did not lose weight I would drop them again by 10% or so and give it another couple weeks. If you lost weight then you can either keep it where you are at or you can drop them some more to increase your weight loss. I wouldn't try to lose more than 1lb per week though.

I was in your shoes back in December of last year. I was 6'1" and 245 lbs and I wanted to slim down and I followed basically what I outlined above and am now walking around at 195 lbs and my pullups and other body weight exercises and general conditioning has improved SIGNIFICANTLY.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, a lot of people over-complicate this whole losing weight thing when it is really a simple process, it just takes discipline and hard work, not a fad diet, supplement, or anything like that.
__________________
Deadlift: 475 | Back Squat: 405 | Front Squat: 320
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #20
Kristian Wolowidnyk
Member Kristian Wolowidnyk is offline
 
Kristian Wolowidnyk's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Edmonton  Alberta
Posts: 63
Re: solid supplements to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
So I am not familiar with the whole Zone diet, what little I know about it is that it is essentially a way to control your macro consumption. What I would do if I were you is track my calories/macro's, make sure you are eating enough protein (1g per lb lean body mass to 1g per lb body weight is plenty), and then slowly lower you other macro's so that you are consuming less calories.

Let's say your maintenance calorie level is 3000 per day meaning you neither gain nor lose weight at 3000 calories. I would keep your protein level at what I recommended above and begin lowering your overall caloric intake by 10-20% (2400 - 2700 calories). Stick with that for a couple weeks and weigh yourself again and see how you fare. If you did not lose weight I would drop them again by 10% or so and give it another couple weeks. If you lost weight then you can either keep it where you are at or you can drop them some more to increase your weight loss. I wouldn't try to lose more than 1lb per week though.

I was in your shoes back in December of last year. I was 6'1" and 245 lbs and I wanted to slim down and I followed basically what I outlined above and am now walking around at 195 lbs and my pullups and other body weight exercises and general conditioning has improved SIGNIFICANTLY.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, a lot of people over-complicate this whole losing weight thing when it is really a simple process, it just takes discipline and hard work, not a fad diet, supplement, or anything like that.
thanks luke
__________________
Might as well live like a savage and train like a motherf***er
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Body-Solid Bumpers? Brian Niven Equipment 7 05-03-2010 02:27 PM
HELP! No solid food Duey Lai Nutrition 9 03-02-2009 11:43 PM
A reason why this forum is so solid . Frank E Morel Community 15 12-01-2008 01:12 PM
body solid rack del brinson Equipment 1 01-09-2008 12:10 PM
Are bumpers SOLID rubber? Nick Cruz Equipment 2 04-11-2007 06:32 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.