CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Liam McKarry

Profile:
Body Image

Not sure if this is the right place to air this but I've been thinking on this for a while.

I'm all for reducing obesity, especially childhood obesity (especially pertinant in the US and UK) and by god do we need to.

But do we ever consider the other side of this - my wife teaches at a highschool and now knows of 2 teenage boys that have developed eating disorders to look good.

It's kind of scary that children think they need to starve to look good
Old 03-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Body Image

That's why we don't focus on the aesthetics of being fit here, but train for performance. And if 2 kids going overboard is so bad that all the other kids get to be fat and unhealthy then we are too soft as a society...

Sure you can take it too far, but it goes both ways. Just need to get them focusing on the right things for the right reasons.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam McKarry View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to air this but I've been thinking on this for a while.

I'm all for reducing obesity, especially childhood obesity (especially pertinant in the US and UK) and by god do we need to.

But do we ever consider the other side of this - my wife teaches at a highschool and now knows of 2 teenage boys that have developed eating disorders to look good.

It's kind of scary that children think they need to starve to look good
Yes, it is. It's a product of being given a model of what is desireable, not being shown how to get there properly, and (often, but not always) being taught a personal work ethic which deliberately or accidentally endorses laziness.

Also, of course, that model of what is desirable is skewed. We all know, CrossFit preference for function over form aside, that anyone who is fit and healthy generally looks good. They might not be everyone's cup of tea, but then neither are the models and celebs on the front of magazines. The odds are, though, that if you're fit and active, your body will show it and someone is going to like the way you look. This is not how things are presented.

I'm not blaming the media, exactly; it's easy to overcome most of these broad and impersonal negative influences with good parenting, I think. I speak as someone who isn't a parent, but has seen the effects of both good and bad parenting many times over, first hand (as have we all).

Involve your kids in fitness, in sport, and they'll not only learn to build a body that people will find good looking, they'll learn not to care as much about that as they do about their capabilities.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

excellent post Frank
Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Vanessa Lee

Profile:

The problem is that the majority of people care way too much about what others think. You should do what's good for you and not them. And this goes for everything. There are people that don't like your nose, but that doesn't mean you have to go running off and get a nose job. Or a new haircut. Or a new car or whatever else SOMEBODY out there tells you is not right about you.

I hate it when people blame the media or fast food chains and models on the runway for the way they look. It's everyone's own choice whether or not they want to follow what the mainstream public thinks is pretty. Hell if I had ever given a about that sort of thing I would not run around with betty bangs and neon green shoes
Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

We all want to be liked. It just depends on what you want to be liked for and to what ends you are willing to go for it and where that ranks with the rest of your goals.

I wouldn't say media is to blame, but it is part of the problem.

Another reason why I think low BFC is such a crappy goal.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Vanessa Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
We all want to be liked. It just depends on what you want to be liked for and to what ends you are willing to go for it and where that ranks with the rest of your goals.

I wouldn't say media is to blame, but it is part of the problem.

Another reason why I think low BFC is such a crappy goal.
Of course we all want to be liked. But a decision to loose fat for example, should not be based on whether or not the skinny clique at school will like you afterwards. Just saying that people need to make decisions for themselves and not because of what others think.

Media is a problem for the week-minded. There's so much c*** on tv these days that it's just so easy to blame it on this alone (not saying you do )

I am very week-minded when it comes to shoe adds. I DO blame the media for literally FORCING me to go out and buy a new pair every time I see one
Old 03-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Liam McKarry

Profile:

Don't get me wrong guys - I'm all for functional fitness etc (why else would I be here?), the reason for my post is pretty much that we all seem so hell bent on diet and exercise that I wondered if others considered the other side when it gets extreme.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

The extreme of fitness isn't starving yourself for a six pack or getting cut. You can lift anything and your endurance goes to 0. Nor is it spending every waking hour in the gym, you can only train so hard and long and still able to recover.

Yes, you can take perfromance training over board, but it's hard because maximizing fitness isn't just more, it's the precise amount and going to the extreme is counter productive.

Again, performance is not about body image. norb schemansky is not a good looking guy, but he was strong as hell and was very explosive. Koklyaev couldn't care what you think about his appearance. Once you make the goal an objective external metric (how long, how much, how fast), alot of these problem go away.

I think that is the problem, not the focus on body image, but a lack of concern for performance for everything but the highest level. I will never go to the olympics, but why should that stop me from lifting as much as I can? WHy should the complete lack of any chance for a scholarship or contract reduce my desire to compete at any sport I enjoy?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

Quote:
Don't get me wrong guys - I'm all for functional fitness etc (why else would I be here?), the reason for my post is pretty much that we all seem so hell bent on diet and exercise that I wondered if others considered the other side when it gets extreme.
We are passionate people committed to excellence in thought, movement, and quality of life. Of course we're passionate about our bodies- they're what get us from point A to point B. Our bodies are the house we live in, the clothes we wear, our engine and our tool to reach out and touch the world around us.

I think most Crossfitters, even some of the most extreme (at least, the ones that I've met), still have a healthy outlook on life despite their diet/exercise fixation because for them, Crossfit is not the end goal. It is a means to feel good, to help people, to battle weakness, to socialize and have fun, and all the other things that come with it.

I do Crossfit because I'm striving to take a physically demanding job. I do Crossfit because I dance. I do Crossfit because the Crossfitters I've met (and some of the ones I've started on it) have been some of the neatest people to hang with. If I gave up my career hopes, my dancing, my fiancee, or my friends for Crossfit, that's when I think it would be unhealthy.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log