CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Mark Stanwyck

Profile:
High Rep Overhead Squat Headache--Please Help

On Thursday I did the 100 OHS at 95# for time WOD. About 1/2 way through the workout, it felt like someone came up from behind me and hit me as hard as they could with a bowling pin right in the base of my skull. I finished the workout and what felt like a terrible headache in the back of my head continued until Saturday until my girlfriend, who is studying PT, was able to massage it out.

On Monday (yesterday), I was back in the gym thinking I was back to normal. I started to warm up for 1RM back squats with an empty bar which was fine. I then put 135# on the bar and after about 5 squats the headache in the occipital returned full force and was there to stay. Again my girlfriend was about to massage it out about 80% of the way but it is a lingering headache and I know that if I did any sort of workout if would come right back. It is really uncomfortable and painful.

Has anyone had something similar happen to them. What did you do> What was it caused by? I found this Mobility WOD episode about the exertional headache (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3TPLt5mkY) and it pretty much describes exactly what happened and the way I feel. I have an appointment with a GP on Thursday to hopefully get approval for some PT. Any input or experience would be seriously appreciated.

TL;DR - Did OHS at 95# for time, splitting headache for five days. What to do??
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Jake Kozlowski

Profile:
Re: High Rep Overhead Squat Headache--Please Help

I had a similar thing happen to me with a 21-15-9 WOD of 95lb OHS and 400m run. I finished the WOD but the pain kept coming back for about a week or 2 when I would lift heavy.

I tapered my lifting back a bit and would try to stop before my final reps in my work set (where the pain would come back), and the pain eventually went away.

I was sure that I was going to have a stroke or something and drop dead. You tend to get these thoughts after 40 years old. I guess it was just a muscle strain because I'm still here.

All the best.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Mark Stanwyck

Profile:

Thanks. I am hoping that is all that it is. It feels like something that will pass with time and rest but it's painful.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Jon Core

Profile:

It happened to me doing squats I thought someone had stuck a knife in my cranium and was twisting it. Big time WTF moment but anyway I looked into it and it seems its called strain exertion injury/headache and you need to take a couple of weeks off then take it easy for just a little while. I sometimes feel it about to start again then I just stop wait five minutes then squat with a more relaxed approach concentrating on correct form, you don't have to bust blood vessels to blow torch your legs. Don't worry it will go away just be mindful when you go to town on intensity.....a couple of weeks after trying to explain to my son what happened to me and how insane it was, it happened to him bench pressing. I nearly died laughing.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Mark Stanwyck

Profile:

After seeing a PT he thinks it is soft tissue damage near the occipital and a cervical strain. He also said that I just need to lay off for another week or so and ease back into working out. He didn't buy into the exertion headache and neither did the general practitioner who wrote the PT prescription.