CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-21-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
Beth Leonard

Profile:

Pulled groin muscle

About 4 weeks ago I pulled my groin muscle doing sprints. I don't think i took enough time off to let it heal. After about 4 days of no pain i started working out again but the day after an intense workout I could feel the muscle aggervated. Last week (8 days ago) I re-pulled it doing front squats with weights (100lbs- btw-i worked my way up to the 100lbs)

This is what i've been doing to try and help it recover:
  • Ice 20 mins on, 20 mins off, 20 mins on x 1 a day
  • Taking Zyflamed by New Chapter
  • Took a long walk on Tuesday (I usually swim for an hour)
  • Last night started doing leg lifts (laying sideways on the groud then lifting my leg up) and another exercise i think it's called an abductor (laying sideways on the floor, place your top leg on the ground kinda in front of you then lift the bottom leg)

I have my frist Tri in 19 days. My plan is
  • no weight lifting w/ my legs til after the tri
  • Next weekend starting running/biking
  • Tuesday will prob swim

Any other recommendations? What are some other exercises I can do to strengthen this muscle now and also in the future when i start lifting again.

also, would doing upper body workouts (push ups, pull ups, bench press) hinder the healing?

how long should i wait until i run or do jumps?

My diet is 95% clean paleo (agave, honey are the only non-paleo items i eat. and banana chips made w/ only coconut oil- unsweet)
Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
Beth Leonard

Profile:

Re: Pulled groin muscle

i've also been taking ibprofin every 4-6 hours. it's been about 2 days since i've had any pain or discomfort. the pain was not severe like it was when i first pulled it a month ago
Old 05-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Strained/pulled muscles you should be using heat IF there is no swelling.

So...
1. Heat
2. Light stretching (feel the pull but WITHOUT pain)
3. Massage to the area to increase blood flow = faster healing

After it starts to feel better you should be doing high rep eccentric movements (start with light weights, work up to heavier stuff.... NOTHING high intensity or high volume....) to help restrengthen the muscle.

Strains occur when your muscles fatigue to the point where they can't contract against the force that you're putting on it so the myofibrils/muscle fibers distend and lengthen more than they should resulting in "pulling" the muscle apart too much. Resistance to eccentric damage/fatigue is key to help preventing straining.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Beth Leonard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Strained/pulled muscles you should be using heat IF there is no swelling.

So...
1. Heat
2. Light stretching (feel the pull but WITHOUT pain)
3. Massage to the area to increase blood flow = faster healing

After it starts to feel better you should be doing high rep eccentric movements (start with light weights, work up to heavier stuff.... NOTHING high intensity or high volume....) to help restrengthen the muscle.

Strains occur when your muscles fatigue to the point where they can't contract against the force that you're putting on it so the myofibrils/muscle fibers distend and lengthen more than they should resulting in "pulling" the muscle apart too much. Resistance to eccentric damage/fatigue is key to help preventing straining.
Steven, thank you so much for answering this. YOU ROCK . i was hoping i'd get a reply from you. pardon my ignorance but can you lay this out in simple terms for me.
Resistance to eccentric damage/fatigue is key to help preventing straining.[/------HUH? So what should i be doing different?

After it starts to feel better you should be doing high rep eccentric movements (start with light weights, work up to heavier stuff.... ------------------------------------------------what are eccentric movements? like squats w/ no weight, lunges w/ no weight? should i use a band and do abductor exercises?

how much massaging should i be doing?
heat- a heating pad and how long?
would you recommend using the icy/hot patches?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Eccentrics are negatives...

So for example if you strained your hamstring you'd do slow negatives of GHR, straight leg DLs, Good mornings, etc.

I suppose you could do as such with the adducted exercises, but really focus on the slow eccentric portion of that. I would do some eccentric hamstring work like the exercises above as well.

Um, massage if you can 30 mins a day. Try to get rid of any tightness. Also, search the surrounding areas (hips, calves, other parts of the leg, etc.) for other tight muscles.

Heat... 15-20 on then 40-45 off works. As many times as you want.

Der.. icy hot... eh. Shrug. IMO just stick with heat...
Old 05-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

It seems that at one time or another all athletes have had a groin/hamstring injury. You hear about pro baseball players in spring training having a slight groin pull and it is still bothering them in September. Unless you are a professional athlete I'd say rest it, meaning nothing but light stretching until it feels normal. That could take 2-3 weeks if you've reaggravated it. The groin is used not only in your lower body motions but basically everytime you exert any force... especially lifting (talk to new mothers who have pulled their groins toting their heavy toddlers around). This will nag you for years if you do not properly let it rest and recuperate. Here is an excellent website: http://www.athleticadvisor.com/image...n%20Strain.pdf
Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mazzarisi View Post
It seems that at one time or another all athletes have had a groin/hamstring injury. You hear about pro baseball players in spring training having a slight groin pull and it is still bothering them in September. Unless you are a professional athlete I'd say rest it, meaning nothing but light stretching until it feels normal. That could take 2-3 weeks if you've reaggravated it. The groin is used not only in your lower body motions but basically everytime you exert any force... especially lifting (talk to new mothers who have pulled their groins toting their heavy toddlers around). This will nag you for years if you do not properly let it rest and recuperate. Here is an excellent website: http://www.athleticadvisor.com/image...n%20Strain.pdf
Stuff persists for months if you don't rehab it right.

Sad state of affairs because most trainers don't know how to rehab strains/pull right..
Old 05-28-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
Beth Leonard

Profile:

James- thank you for that link. Iíve been doing those exercises every night. Last night i bought a resistance band and tied it to my bed and did more exercises.
But there is a small problem. I was maxing out on my bench presses last night (new 1RM 100LBS btw )
and during the lift i felt a 'pull' on that groin muscle. Usually the feeling i get there like a 'pinch' but this just felt like a pull. And this morning when getting out of my car i could fell the muscle but it didn't hurt.
Did i re-injure it? Or do you think this 'pull' feeling is a good thing and Iíve only activated it?

I swear once this thing heals I will never let it happen again.

Oh btw (totally unrelated to my groin injury) what's with all the shoulder injuries I see here? Why so many? Is it due to poor form?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth J Leon View Post
James- thank you for that link. Iíve been doing those exercises every night. Last night i bought a resistance band and tied it to my bed and did more exercises.
But there is a small problem. I was maxing out on my bench presses last night (new 1RM 100LBS btw )
and during the lift i felt a 'pull' on that groin muscle. Usually the feeling i get there like a 'pinch' but this just felt like a pull. And this morning when getting out of my car i could fell the muscle but it didn't hurt.
Did i re-injure it? Or do you think this 'pull' feeling is a good thing and Iíve only activated it?

I swear once this thing heals I will never let it happen again.

Oh btw (totally unrelated to my groin injury) what's with all the shoulder injuries I see here? Why so many? Is it due to poor form?
Like I said, the groin is activated in just about any position where the body is in motion, particularly when you're lifting. Basically the groin tenses up no matter what you're lifting and no matter how isolated the exercise. The max bench press with a pulled groin was not a good idea. I would say you reaggravated it. I'm not a doctor, but I know from experience what a pain these things can be. I've had a history of soft tissue injuries, most of which I attribute to overuse in youth sports (basically 12 months out of the year with little rest for 9 years: I eventually quit all high school sports becasue my body had just had it). I can't emphasize enough resting a sore groin; I realize it is hard especially when you see the results with cross fit. But always keep these two points in mind (I say these to myself on every workout): 1) I don't want to make a "small" injury worse and be out even longer, and 2) one of my fitness goals, if not my primary fitness goal, is to be exercising and improving 1 year from now, 5 years, 10 years, etc. Pushing through an injury in the short term is not worth the risks, plus it's safe to say that you're delaying, if not hampering, the healing process. Take it easy, do your strethes, and incorporate one or 2 days a week to yoga or stretching; they will (especially yoga) help with inkury reduction, build additional strength, and also tone your body (if appearance is one of your goals). Good luck and take it easy. Oh, and as for shoulder injuries, I would say it's a combination of overuse and/or improper form. The shoulder is engaged in just about every upper body exercise. If your form suffers when you're doing pull-ups, the shoulder could subluxate (come out as too much stress is places on the ligaments), or if you're benching (which I am personally convinved is an unnatural movement), you could likely place too much strain on the deltoids causing pulls/tears, etc, etc. My only advice in avoiding shoulder injuries is to use manageable weight and listen to your body. Again I'm not a doctor but I think this is common sense. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:41 AM   #10
Larry Platas

Profile:

Elizabeth, James is correct. I suffered a pulled groin/sports hernia almost three months ago. I went to three different doctors and had multiple scans.

These are muscle tears in your pelvic region which are extremely hard to diagnose. Most doctors will give you the wrong advise. DO NOT do any type of upper body lifting or anything that will strain these muscles. Two doctors said it was okay to excersise they are WRONG. I noticed the only way I felt better was to do no excersise, except walk.

I know its tough, but when I thought I was okay, went back to light
lifting/excersise and I was back in pain again.

I am trying to avoid surgery, but if it does get better by July 1, I dont think I have a choice.