CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Chris Lampe

Profile:
pulled groin?

I recently got out on my bicycle for the first time in months and due to some reason I haven't figured out I had to twist my right foot inwards to stay on the pedal. A couple of days later I was hit with crippling pain on my inside right thigh. I looked up my symptoms on the web and found that the adductors are responsible for rotating the foot inwards (among other things) which fit what happened to me. They labeled this a "pulled groin".

The strange thing is, except for the first couple of days, it isn't a continuous pain. It only hurts when I stand up from being seated in a chair (couch doesn't make it hurt). For a couple of minutes the pain is so severe that I can't put any weight on my right leg and then it subsides and often goes away completely. I've had days where I had no pain and no activity I did bothered it.

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I thought it would be healed by now but it still bothers me. Any suggestions?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: pulled groin?

The on and off pain is a little wierd, but it could just be you are guarding it most the time and it is only every once in a while when you use it that the pain flares up. As far as recovery time.... Groins suck! I had a pretty bad, probably high grade II, groin tear like 7 years ago and it took me a full 8-9 months to be 100% again. Though when it happened i felt a loud POP come from my groin and new something was wrong right away. Yours sounds less severe and will thus recover faster, but I know it is an area that does take some extra time because you use your groin for alot of stabalization that you do not normally realize when squating (aka standing up or sitting down), walking, running, biking, etc. All these things cannot be avoided, at least walking and sitting, and thus it is continually getting irritated prolonging the recovery process. Ice 20 min a couple times a day (very akward place to ice i know but it is wroth it) and take ibprofin in the morning and evening and if it is still not better or at any point gets worse in a couple more weeks get it checked out by a doctor. Also listen to your body and if you are worried for any reason or think it is more serious go to a doctor

-Robert