CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Mark Konen

Profile:
At the end of the recent WOD which featured 21-15-9 Deadlifts @ 225#, I noticed a very slight tweak of my right adducter. It became worse with the next Back Squat WOD at the second rep.

I am currently icing and "Advilling" it, but in addition to that, is there anything I can do to enhance and shorten recovery time? I have had pulled groins before from skating and I know they can take a while to heal.

What would be a good strategy to employ so I may still Crossfit at a reasonably high level (a relative term) for me? I certainly don't want to set my recovery back by doing something (else) stupid.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Sorry to hear about your injury... I agree that groin pulls take a while to heal. Try focusing on upper body work, like HSPUs, pushups, dips, pullups, etc. If you have rings you can work MUs too.

Have you thought about what might have caused it, so that you can avoid having it happen again? Maybe when it's healed sufficiently you could focus on stretching and strengthening those muscles. Whenever I get an injury from "use" I make sure to know why it happened and make a plan to avoid having it recur.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:15 AM   #3
Mark Konen

Profile:
Oh yeah, I know what caused it. My form in the deadlift started unraveling in the third round and I noticed the slightest of pulls afterwards. The next WOD, the Back Squats was done later in the day, ( yeah, I know, dumb!. Normally, I have better focus and tighten my core when squatting a load, but I took the injury and the load "lightly" on the second rep and made the injury worse. I can still squat without pain as long as I don't go to the bottom. So, yes, I will be doing more upper body work and respect the injury. Thanks, Ben.