CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Making your own bread (as in choosing ingredients to make a "bread")

If I were to design my own bread, one that's going to be fine eating on the zone, etc. (I know most people on here say "just drop bread") but for me, it's a matter of eating fruits/veggies whenever I can (which isn't frequently due to things like budget, time, cooking, and food spoilage constraints), and eating "regular" wheat bread the other times, OR, making a good bread that I can eat regularly (not all my carbs, but sometimes a good portion).

Things like in the morning, I almost always have a protein shake, and to get fat, I typically pour some olive oil on a plate with some pepper and a little salt, and dip bread in it and eat it. But I'd rather eat good bread than just plain wheat bread, you know what I mean?

I'm looking for alternatives, I'm most likely going to (or am willing to I should say) bake my own bread in bulk and freeze a dozen or so loaves. Or, I could just go with store bought, but I'm not about to drop five bucks a loaf on it if I can bake it myself for less than a buck a loaf, and it tastes better too. I know about Ezekiel bread, etc. but don't know how good they are either.

What would you recommend? Barley, flax, whatever, mix them up, I don't care, which "grains" or seeds or whatever would you recommend?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Making your own bread (as in choosing ingredients to make a "bread")

Check out Laurel's Kitchen. There are tons of high protein bread recipes in it.

Generally, the kinds of ingredients you can add for nutrition's sake include almond flour, amaranth flour, soy flour, buckwheat flour, eggs, ground flaxseed, oat flour, etc. I've made bread with mixed flours just substituting for however many cups of wheat flour were called for, though I always use at least 1 cup of white whole wheat flour per loaf.

If you like a quick flatbread, like a pita or naan bread, try this:

1 cup whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat)
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1 TB. honey
1 package yeast
1 tsp. salt
1-2 cups warm water

Dissolve yeat in 1 cup warm water mixed with 1 TB. honey, let proof. (Sit in a warm spot until frothy.)

Mix flours and salt together in a bowl. Add the yeast and 1 cup of water, mix well. Add up to 1 cup more water as needed to make a soft dough. Turn out on floured board and knead until elastic, about 10 min. (Dough can be frozen raw at this point, when you want to use it, take it out and let it sit at room temp. until thawed and doubled in size. This can take most of a day)

Let rise in a covered bowl until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Knead briefly. Roll into a snake, and cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a circle with rolling pin on floured board.

Heat a cast iron frying pan or griddle over med. high heat until hot. Spray with olive oil. Cook dough circles for about 2 min. per side, or until lightly browned. Dough will be ready to turn when great big bubbles pop up.

This is just a great, very easy flatbread.

Susie
Old 10-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Thanks Susie, I'll have to try these sometime, mix & match, and your recipe.

Anyone know which particular grains/seeds are really good for you if made into a bread? I'm confident in my ability to get used to the taste of just about anything (except cottage cheese... ugh...), so that doesn't worry me too much.

If you know their benefit, etc, especially compared to wheat, and why one or the other is good/bad.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Alex Rosch

Profile:

I like that stuff made with sprouted grain, however, I think that the sprouted grain flour would be hard to come by. Shelled seeds like pumpkin, hemp and sunflower (usually roasted though), quinoa (cook first I would think), ground flax (you can't get much from whole-seed flax...best if ground at home/fresh), and you could use extra virgin olive oil or flax oil (I saw some High Lignan flax oil at the store) instead of other oils in the bread, and dip into something like Udo's Choice N3-6-9 Oil...
If you make something that holds the above together, be sure to post it! I love bread, but only allow myself a slice or two a week. This could change that!!

And thanks suzie for that make-me-wanna-bake inspiring recipe.

Last edited by Alex Rosch : 10-07-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: kudos
Old 10-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Brad Davis

Profile:

Chestnut flour? I've been wondering for a while if it's possible to make bread out of that, but I've never been able to find useful info online. Usually, it's just subbed for part of the mix. I have been thinking of breading squash with it, though, because I'm getting sick of eating it without breading.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

I use buckwheat and flax for all my baked goods because buckwheat is a fruit, not a grain, and tastes wonderful (just put up my cracker recipe) and flax is a seed, with a ton of protein, lots of omega-3s and a ton of fiber.

Those two together makes amazing banana bread. I'll throw that recipe up tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I use buckwheat and flax for all my baked goods because buckwheat is a fruit, not a grain, and tastes wonderful (just put up my cracker recipe) and flax is a seed, with a ton of protein, lots of omega-3s and a ton of fiber.

Those two together makes amazing banana bread. I'll throw that recipe up tomorrow.
George you are going to be my new best friend if this banana bread recipe shakes out
Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Am thinking to make that "banana bread" more insulin sensitive, why dont use shredded zucchini and use perhaps a drop of cocoa or cinn
Old 10-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

Sarena, the recipe is up in my thread. I also sub pumpkin, zuchinni would work too. The glycemic load of the bread is what you should worry about not the GI of bananas. The GL of the bread is really low - its mostly fat.

Edit: Just realized I said "sub pumpkin", holy crap, too much CrossFit.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

I am diagnosed with type 2 diabetes George but have no issues based on my lifestyle etc. i just know I cant eat bananas -- they wreck havoc on me blood sugar wise!