CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Zach Price

Profile:
King Kong

So I'm relatively new to crossfit (four months) and have a goal of finishing King Kong. My max dead lift is 415, HSPU's are decent enough, haven't done a dead hang muscle up, and my squat cleans aren't near what King Kong calls for either. Prognosis:
So I made up "Baby Kong"
3 rounds of:
1-3-5 reps of 295 DL, toe assist MU, HSPU, and 60lb dumbbell squat clean
so go through the one reps, then the 3's, then the 5's
rest 2 and 1/2 minutes. Then repeat two more rounds.
I know its strange and might not even constitute as "crossfit" but this WO tests me on all levels (done it 3 times so far didn't record my times). I do not recommend it to others I just wanted to hear thoughts and maybe suggestions for a better way to train for this workout rather than just scaling it. What else I love about King Kong is the respect I have for the different exercises involved that I want to develop (especially getting my first strict muscle up).
preciate it,
Zach
Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Price View Post
I know its strange and might not even constitute as "crossfit" but this WO tests me on all levels (done it 3 times so far didn't record my times).
Don't worry about it being a CF WOD or following a CF protocol.

Quote:
I do not recommend it to others I just wanted to hear thoughts and maybe suggestions for a better way to train for this workout rather than just scaling it. What else I love about King Kong is the respect I have for the different exercises involved that I want to develop (especially getting my first strict muscle up).
Over what period of time have you done this workout 3 times? A month? 3 months? etc....
Old 01-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Troy Becker

Profile:

Why wouldn't it be "crossfit" ?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

This is a fun one, but doing the workout will not be the best way to move towards doing it as RX'd.

To train for this one you need brute strength, and muscleup ability, which means a barbell lifting plan (3x5's or 5x5, CFFB, CFSB, or something else), developing a good strong pullup, good dips, and skill work on your muscleup transition.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Zach,

King Kong is one of my goals, as well. But I am not doing any sort of mini-Kong over and over. I am working 3x5 deadlift, front/back squat and power/squat cleans. At 185lbs my numbers are:

dl - 440
clean - 265

To really be able to complete Kong, I think my DL needs to be in the 475's and clean in the 300's. This is obviously pure speculation
Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Robert Michael Orlando

Profile:

Hi Guys--

Ryan, you're almost exactly on point. For a person to be able to do this workout they need to be able to squat clean 250. The entire workout is in those 9 lifts. If you can squat clean 250 you should be deadlifting over 455. Muscle ups are a skill that CrossFitters should all have in their arsenal and the same goes for HSPU.

My feeling is that you should hammer out squat cleans till you can nail 250 for a couple reps. All the work is in that particular movement...even for a strong CrossFitter.

Of course...this is all just my opinion which is worth almost zero. One thing I am sure of is that I know almost nothing at all.

Good luck and train hard.
Rob O
Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

+1 to what Rob said
Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Zach Price

Profile:

Completed this workout 3 times the past month. It may not be the best way to train for it, but it sure as hell gets me pumped to do any variation of King Kong.

Muscle ups are nearly within my grasp, I just need to clean up the technique and find a cheap set to own so I can do them at home. My HSPU's wouldn't be a problem.

Ryan and Rob, I'll be putting DL and clean into the core of my strength training. Crossfit has given me a newfound respect for the clean especially. No doubt it will improve my rucking and tackling as rugby season approaches also.

thanks for the support guys,

oh and I tried another home workout that incorporates some of the movements of KK. Post thoughts if ya like.

as many rounds as possible in 20 min of:
3 one handed (each arm) weighted pull ups (approx lbs)
4 HSPU's
50 50lb sandbag front squats

went a little over. 5 rounds in 20:25
cheers,
zach
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
Zach Price

Profile:

*that's approx 16 lbs (2 gallon jugs of water)
Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

The first workout is a lot more repetitions than KK. That's 27 reps per round of each exercise, not all exercises. Now we get into a different power modality though you are getting 150s to rest.

You might want to try "Queen Kong" with 325lb DL and 185lb SQ Cleans. I think I could do QK as rx'd possibly without failing a clean, possibly but not likely.

Doing 2x60lb squat cleans just isn't the same. Why are you doing these? So you don't have to adjust the bar or because your clean technique is in the beginning stages?

I think I would like to be able to do 5 squat cleans with 250 before I try hitting it all the way. 5 means it's only 60% so it gives me some breathing room. If 250x3 was my max, I'd wonder if I would fail one of the cleans during the rounds or not complete. 9 in a row would be awesome like DLx3 by 9 cleans!

I do thinking doing lots of those toe MU is a good progression if you want to dedicate some time to doing MU. I'd bet you could probably kip them if you had the setup.