CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #11
Yavor Marichkov

Profile:  
7*3 OH SQ with a broomstick
Old 07-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #12
Ian Carver

Profile:
Welcome to CF, Yavor. Nice to see the journal and see your progress. Also, great job with the muscle ups on the bar!! You are definitely on the right track - Keep it up!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #13
Lonnie Richardson

Profile:
How did you train to get the bar muscleups?
These would be very cool to do as one can do them most anywhere and is one of my goals.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
Yavor Marichkov

Profile:  
Ian, thanks!

Lonnie, I have trained for the bar muscle ups for maybe two weeks. I just grip the bar with a slightly false grip, hang and then try to lift myslef super fast and flip my shoulders. Most of the times I just end up crashing my chest against the bar, but three times so far I have managed, somehow, almost intuitevley to flip my shoulders and end in a muscle up.

That said, I cannot get one every time. For example, tonight I couldn't. I find that I have to pull myself up very, very explosively. Then almost at the top I kick with my feet and flip my shoulders over and suddenly I am on top of the bar.

The first time this happened, I was like, what did just happen? I was at the playground (it has pullup bars, paralelletes, monkey bars etc) with some other guys. None of them was watching when I managed to do the muscle up. The second time again everybody was watching in some other direction :-)

As far as dipping and pullup strenght go, I weigh 80-82kg and can do a chin up with an extra 40kg for 1 rep. Weighted pullups/chinups help a lot. I find the best way to train them is musltiple sets of low reps. I can do 30 bodyweight dips (haven't tested !rm weighted recently).

One guy that comes to the playground, he's 50, can do a muscle up in one fluid motion, with no kicking...