CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
Matt Spangler

Profile:
Home gym suggestions

I trying to pick some few brains on here as to what else would nice to have for use at home and at the fire station. When I do workout at home it is either outside, at a park or in my living room (rental, no garage). I live in small town with no CF box. Get my lifts in at a globo gym and then a met-con anyway I can.

I have a good amount of equipment and I get a good variety of movements in, it would be nice to have some variety.

Below is a list of equipment I currently have
Rings, Door Strap for Rings
Agility ladder, cones
Dragging sled
Abmat
Ab Roller
3 in 1 Plyo box (20-24-30)
Jump Rope
Schwinn AirDyne
53# and 35# Kettlebells
20# and 30# Slam Ball
Brute Force Sand bag
20# Medicine Ball
PVC parellettes

One thing I was leaning towards was a 2 pood kettlebell as swing with the 53# are getting pretty easy. Whatever do I decide to get would be fairly easily transportable so I can bring to work and back. Thanks
Old 09-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: Home gym suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Spangler View Post
I trying to pick some few brains on here as to what else would nice to have for use at home and at the fire station. When I do workout at home it is either outside, at a park or in my living room (rental, no garage). I live in small town with no CF box. Get my lifts in at a globo gym and then a met-con anyway I can.

I have a good amount of equipment and I get a good variety of movements in, it would be nice to have some variety.

Agility ladder, cones
Dragging sled
Abmat
Ab Roller
Jump Rope
Schwinn AirDyne
53# and 35# Kettlebells
20# and 30# Slam Ball
Brute Force Sand bag
20# Medicine Ball
PVC parellettes

One thing I was leaning towards was a 2 pood kettlebell as swing with the 53# are getting pretty easy. Whatever do I decide to get would be fairly easily transportable so I can bring to work and back. Thanks
If portability is key, then I'd suggest getting a few bumpers (25s and 10s), and a decent 5' barbell. The rest of your current inventory is sufficient. The bar is small enough to transport by car ( not sure what you drive), and you can get in some light, Oly lifts on the go....And you can use the bumpers on your sled as well.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:

Agility ladder, cones
Dragging sled
Abmat
Ab Roller
Jump Rope
Schwinn AirDyne
53# and 35# Kettlebells
20# and 30# Slam Ball
Brute Force Sand bag
20# Medicine Ball
PVC parellettes

1. I assume you do not live in Green Bay itself as there are six boxes here. If you are close, I suggest dropping in to one if possible.
2. I would get a barbell and bumper plates. Then you don't have to worry about the globo as much (only have to go in winter and bad weather, or to squat). I would start with a 45-35-25-15-10 set of bumpers and a bar, and fill out the rest with iron (or get more bumpers). You then lift outside during warmer months.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
Matt Spangler

Profile:

Steve, I actually moved to Northern WI 3 years ago for work. Closest box is 70 miles away in Duluth MN. I drop in to my old box when I go visit family down there. What's nice to see is the growth of the CF community down there. When I left there was only 2 boxes with a 3rd box getting ready to open up.

Bumpers are the list. Problem is storage for them in my small duplex. I appreciate the advice.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Michael Cook

Profile:

How about a rope? You can use it for battle rope exercises, or attach it to your sled for seated or standing sled pulls.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
Bumpers are the list. Problem is storage for them in my small duplex. I appreciate the advice.
What concern do you have with storage? I am sure there is a great solution waiting to be found.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Matt Spangler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post
What concern do you have with storage? I am sure there is a great solution waiting to be found.
Space. Well the lack of space. I have just enough space for the equipment that I have now. The airdyne sits out in the living room, which I have to rearrange in order to get a workout in.

My thoughts were to just my $ for now and get bumpers when it gets nice out again in spring.