CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
Luke Conner

Profile:
Looking for shoe input and suggestions

I realize how subjective this all is, so I'm just looking for your thoughts.

In our recent move one of my shoes disappeared. I've been training in my chucks, but I'm ready to get a better workout shoe again. I'm torn between the Metcon 1, Nano 5 or Nano 2. What are your suggestions?
Previous experience, I liked my Metcon 1s, I liked my Nano 2s and I hated the Nano 3. Never got the 4 or 5.

The reason I'm not looking at the Metcon 2 is because I just don't want to pay $130 for what is mostly the same shoe as the first one. I am curious to hear your opinions on the Nano 5 though as I've heard good things about them.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:14 AM   #2
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Looking for shoe input and suggestions

I have both Nano 2 and Nano 5

I use the 2's for some workouts and 5's for others.... on the whole 5's are way better for me, more stable than 2's.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:22 AM   #3
John Donovan

Profile:

Don't overlook the speed tr by reebok. My coach has a pair and said they were reebok's answer to the metcon 1. They're basically a nano 5 that's better to run in. If I remember they are only 100 bucks.
32/5'10"/233. 500m row-1:39/1000m row-3:53/2k row- 8:12/DL-495, FS-325, Back squat- 440, Press-205, Snatch-96kg, C&J-121Kg, 5k run- 27:30
Old 05-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
Michael Cook

Profile:

I have Nano 5 and Nano 2. I like the 5s much better. The Nano 5 has a really thin tongue, but the tongue is secured to the sides of the shoe. This gives it a lot of lateral stability.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Have Nano Uni-forms, 2,3,4 and 5. Besides the weak blackish color these are the best. But the 5's are tight to get on for my high arch.. but when they go on they feel like they were poured on. Wonder what the 6's will be like.

Nike Metcons seem very heavy to me. The do have that hspu heal appendage that seems to be cool.

Inov-8 are also cool.

To tell you the truth more thought goes into which color to wear for me than after the 3..2..1 go sounds. When in the workout 90% my shoes are of no concern.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Nano 2.0 are by far the best all around....I like the Nano Fusion Pump also. The pump isn't as great as cracked up to be but the shoes' performance stunned me.

I've lifted heavy, run (straight out of the box) and done about every Oly lift in them with no issues.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

Having tried Nano 3's, Inov-8's and Nike MC1's, I prefer the MC1's hands down. Nanos have never fit me well and felt heavy to me. Inov-8's were lightweight and great but they stopped making my favorite model, the F-252. Picked up a pair of the MC-1's last August and I love them. Great for all lifts, springy enough for running and plyo, and stand up to rope climbs well too.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #8
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Best to run in: Nano 2.0 and the speed tr

Best overall cross-training shoe: NIke Metcon 2(the Nano 5.0 is a close second).

I have all the above, and different strokes for different folks. If your doing any serious Olympic lifting, get a pair of actual weightlifting shoes. It will save your $$$ in the longrun.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Conner View Post

The reason I'm not looking at the Metcon 2 is because I just don't want to pay $130 for what is mostly the same shoe as the first one.
there's a 25% off clearance code right now at nike online (code "ZOOM25").

there are several metcon 2s that are listed as "clearance" and so you can apply the code to drop them down to ~$70-$90 (sign up for an account to get free shipping).

All links wfs:

These two are ~$71 after code:
Spring Leaf/Voltage Green/White/Black
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/me.../pgid-11470430

Total Crimson/Black/White/Racer Blue
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/me.../pgid-11470430

This one is ~$90 after code:
Amplify
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/me.../pgid-11491901
Old 07-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #10
Nicholas Ferrara

Profile:

I have a couple nano 5's , some Nano 2's and Some "crossfit pump". I bought everything cheap, I paid less than $50 a pair, I watch for stuff to go on sale. I would never pick "Pump" shoes, but they are kind of nice, not sure how long the pump function holds up, but I have enough shoes to rotate. I also have Rebook Oly Lifters. I am not sure which generation they are, but by far the shoe that helps me the most for what it is designed to do. I was a New Balance Minimus guy, but their shoes have just become crap, they don't last at all. I have some that are kicking around 5 plus years old with the tread just about gone and new ones with 2 months of wear falling apart. I still rotate my old good pair of NB shoes, they are by far the most comfortable and least invasive shoe I own, currently sporting some Yellow Shoe laces off of one of the new crap pair that didn't last a couple of months.

I am not a shoe snob, I buy what is CHEAP, that is why I bought New Balance, I could buy the new shoes with an industry discount for 1/3 of what they would retail for. That being said, I like the 5's and pump, then the 2's.