CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #591
Zackry Nikkel

Profile:
Re: Gslp

I know i read in the ebook somewhere in the Frequency method section that you could sub Pushups for dips? I thats correct, do you think it'd be possible to sub in Ring dips? Im pretty sure he meant parallel dips but i dont have stands for those, just rings and straps.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #592
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Frequency method is good for pretty much any bodyweight exercise. Like I said, you're not really "subbing" anything. Rather, you are programming for your own goals. The only things set in GSLP are the 4 big lifts.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #593
Zackry Nikkel

Profile:

So im a lil sketchy on doing all the frequency PU and CU. My second day doin gslp i was able to do 9 sets of 10 for each. I know i can knock out a set of 12 or 15 even, easy. but my question is, when he states to spread them out "thinly" throughout the day, what would be a good outline? Today i did them about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs apart. Also, due to my work, i work out early in the am around 5, so is it still kosher to perform all the frequency work after all my main work was done in the morning?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #594
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

They're not proper FM if you're doing sets of 10 when your max is 12-15. And you shouldn't be doing 9 FM sets per day.

FM sets should be 50% of your max, 4-5 times daily. Ideally you spread them through the day, but I've also worked them in as part of my lifting warmup without any adverse effects.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #595
Zackry Nikkel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
They're not proper FM if you're doing sets of 10 when your max is 12-15. And you shouldn't be doing 9 FM sets per day.

FM sets should be 50% of your max, 4-5 times daily. Ideally you spread them through the day, but I've also worked them in as part of my lifting warmup without any adverse effects.
Ok, I just went back to the section and read it in the ebook again, would that 50% of my max be the number of max reps i can do in one set. on top of that, is 4 - 5 times daily the set limit? or can you increase it by a set every week? or do you only increase the number of reps?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #596
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yes, it's 50% of your single set max. So if you can do 15 pullups, you'd do sets of 7-8 for your FM sets. 4-5 sets per day is about as many as you'll want to do, so just add a rep or two to each set after a few weeks. You can retest your max set and take 50% of that, or just SWAG it and assume you've probably added a few to your max.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #597
Vladimir Demirev

Profile:

I have a question regarding the metcons-I know they should be short,heavy and intense and without technical movements but aside from that does it matter what the metcon is?For example if I'm doing a metcon on Wed after the DL should it include DL or just the opposite or it doesn't matter because the purpose of the metcons is only to maintain conditioning?

Thanks,

Vlad
Old 12-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #598
Zackry Nikkel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Yes, it's 50% of your single set max. So if you can do 15 pullups, you'd do sets of 7-8 for your FM sets. 4-5 sets per day is about as many as you'll want to do, so just add a rep or two to each set after a few weeks. You can retest your max set and take 50% of that, or just SWAG it and assume you've probably added a few to your max.
Thanks Man, All of this helps alot!

and @ Vlad, Im sure you'll get some more suggestions, but what ive been doing so far is sticking to some heavy Kettle bell metcons that involve snatches and American swings, or you could do an EMOM of powercleans or powersnatches, somewhere along the lines of that id suppose is ok, but ive had that same question aswell so im curious as to what other people have to suggest.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #599
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Demirev View Post
I have a question regarding the metcons-I know they should be short,heavy and intense and without technical movements but aside from that does it matter what the metcon is?For example if I'm doing a metcon on Wed after the DL should it include DL or just the opposite or it doesn't matter because the purpose of the metcons is only to maintain conditioning?

Thanks,

Vlad
Think of it like this. If you did Deadlifts on Wednesday, you probably have Squat and Bench on Friday, right?

If you want your squat and bench session to go well, you won't do anything to impair your ability for then. I find kettlebells, hillsprints, prowler runs etc work well as these don't affect recovery much.

Different things affect different people though - why dont you try to rotate through a few different things and see what works for you? I know personally, I can't do UDL's on any day other than Friday because I need the weekend to recover from them
Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #600
Zackry Nikkel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Demirev View Post

Thanks,

Vlad
I second dylan on that, and just thought of something, You could try An AMRAP of Turkish Getups with 1 pood or 1.5 pood, or what ever fits your needs, and alternate reps, go for 5 mins or 10 mins tops. Thats a favorite of mine.