CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #531
Will Feber

Profile:
Re: Gslp

I'm 190 pounds, male, 6", eat mostly clean, get 8 hours of sleep, but work a pretty stressful job. What sort of numbers should I be able to hit with GSLP until having to switch to a different program?

I've done GSLP in the past, but then had to reset a few times and decided to give 531 a try, especially due to my job, thought the slower pace would allow for better recovery. I'm into my 2nd cycle now, had to use the same weight for some lifts in the 2nd 3+ week than in the 1st 1+ week and ended up with fewer reps. Could've been just a few bad days, but somehow it seems like I'm not making any progress. So maybe 531 doesn't work for me.

Considering going back to GSLP if 531 still doesn't show any progress in 1 or 2 months. But obviously wouldn't want to do it, if I'm very close to whats possible with it considering my circumstances..

Current lifts: Squat 320, deadlift 370, press 135, bench 185.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #532
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You've already decided that "531 doesn't work for me" so it's not surprising your results have been mixed. I know I've mentioned the mental side of things to you before, so this just reinforces my previous points...you're seeing minimal gains because you're setting low expectations for yourself then calmly accepting those minimal results. You could be on the best, most perfectly-programmed training plan in the world, but still fail if you kept letting self-defeating thoughts creep into your head.

Did you start with 90% of your 1RM as your training max like you were supposed to? There's really no other reason you should be struggling on the second month of 531.

Pick a program and stick to it--bouncing back and forth from GSLP to 531 and back to GSLP in a period of ~2 months is not the way to go. Either program will work for getting numbers well beyond where you currently are if you do them correctly.

Take your 531 spreadsheets and project them out for the next 12 months--if those numbers look like numbers you'd be happy with a year from now, then there's no reason to ditch 531 right now.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #533
Will Feber

Profile:

Definitely haven't decided that 531 doesn't work for me.. like I said, I will give it at least a few more months before I decide whether it works or not.

I don't think I've "set low expectations for myself then calmly accepted those minimal results". I had very good months with GSLP where, especially with the squat and deadlift, I kept adding weight to the bar every single workout and still hit the prescribed reps.

Yes, there were a few weeks where I had a sticking point with squatting and wasn't sure how hard I should push for more reps without risking injury.. I thing you are referring to that. But those were really only a few weeks. Overall I did GSLP for about 6 or 7 months.

Yes, I started with 90% of my 1RM. I'm not struggling to hit the prescribed reps, since they are so low. But like I said, I had to use the same weight (in different weeks and cycles), which allowed me to compare reps and sometimes they were lower than in the previous cycle.

Obviously the projected long term gains of 531 are great.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #534
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
Definitely haven't decided that 531 doesn't work for me.. like I said, I will give it at least a few more months before I decide whether it works or not.

I don't think I've "set low expectations for myself then calmly accepted those minimal results". I had very good months with GSLP where, especially with the squat and deadlift, I kept adding weight to the bar every single workout and still hit the prescribed reps.

Yes, there were a few weeks where I had a sticking point with squatting and wasn't sure how hard I should push for more reps without risking injury.. I thing you are referring to that. But those were really only a few weeks. Overall I did GSLP for about 6 or 7 months.

Yes, I started with 90% of my 1RM. I'm not struggling to hit the prescribed reps, since they are so low. But like I said, I had to use the same weight (in different weeks and cycles), which allowed me to compare reps and sometimes they were lower than in the previous cycle.

Obviously the projected long term gains of 531 are great.
Aside from other day to day variations in how you feel, how much you've eaten, how you slept, etc. you also have to factor in how much you lifted in the first two sets of the day before you assess that your performance on the + set for one week of a cycle is better or worse than a different + set on a different week of a different cycle. The weight, number of reps (i.e. a 5s week vs. a 3s week vs. a 531 week), and relative difficulty of the first two sets can still have an impact on how fresh you are by the time you get to the final + set.

If I'm wrong on the mental side of things then I'm wrong, but based on your posts here and on the GSLP board I think it's definitely a factor in your case.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #535
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Anyone ever done the 50 squats at Bodyweight...after doing the 20 rep squat routine for 6 weeks it doesn't seem too bad in my head, but 50 is a LOT of reps...at 220# That could be an interesting challenge to try, maybe when I'm done with Smolov I'll give it a go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
Same weight.

50 squats at bodyweight? Ouch. That might be interesting to try one day. Is it "Rx" if you rack the weight to break it up, or do you have to keep it on your shoulders the whole time? I'd be more like 175, but that's a lot of reps.
yes i have done it. much like the VC 1 challenge with burpees, this one is more mental than anything. you just have to keep making yourself drop after you stand up. take a breath and drop. you will want to to stop but if you just keep dropping you can do it. as to the "RX" question, no you can't rack it, it is one non-stop set.

if doing GSLP, a good way to train for it, is on one of your squat days, as your last exercise for the day, simply drop the weight to bodyweight after your 5+ set and do as many reps as you can, trying to add a few each week. if you are lifting on M-W-F, then I would do it on F so you have two days rest.

my brother and I both did all 5 VC's in one day, sort of like a PT test. took us about an hour and a half to complete all of them. doing the squats after the burpees was no fun, and doing the march after both was also no fun, but it is doable. when we did it I was 210lbs at 5'7" and he was 220 at 5'8", and we were both fat. we rested two days and then did the military athlete operator ugly test and both scored very high, we both did 50 and 50 on bench and front squats. if you train for it then these things are not that hard, much like anything. running a marathon, or even a half, seems impossibly daunting to me because i never run long distance (mostly because i hate to run) and so doing it is very hard. but there are people that are able to do it will only a few months of training. i am sure i could do the same if i wanted to and trained. in the same way, people can do the VC challlenges pretty easy if they just get serious and train.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #536
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
my brother and I both did all 5 VC's in one day, sort of like a PT test... and we were both fat.
Lol, so much for Johnny Pain's assertion that he's never seen anyone do 100 burpees in 5:00 who was overweight.

That's one heck of an achievement though for sure!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #537
Craig Horstman

Profile:

started back today after about a month off. holy crap i lost a lot. got a lot of work to do now.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #538
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Horstman View Post
started back today after about a month off. holy crap i lost a lot. got a lot of work to do now.
Just think what 4 months has done to me.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #539
Kirk Dragsbaek

Profile:

Has anyone added hamstring assistance into GSLP? This is a glaring weak point with me right now and I want to address it because I feel like right now I'm just compensating by using more quads. If people have done this can you provide some ideas. I do it 2 days a week on Monday and Thursday with press and squat monday and bench and deadlift thursday. I do weighted pull-ups on monday and croc rows on thursday.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #540
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I used to throw in good mornings or RDLs once or twice a week when I was doing 2x per week GSLP lifting.