CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #481
Graeme Moore

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I think I have finally decided that after a few months off from really hitting the iron due to life just getting too hectic I think I'm going to come back and do some GSLP to get my strength back up to a decent level.

I will be doing the program exactly as outlined on M,W,F and do some power oly lifts and conditioning on T, Sat. I might add an additional met con after one of the lifting days, but would keep it pretty basic (read: short) if so.

Going to start tonight if I can get out of work before 8 (which would make for a 12 hour day).
Feeling your pain! I've managed to squat once and press twice in the last 7 days due to insane time demands. I'm at the point now where I'm going to have to lay down the law with loved ones and be utterly selfish for at least a month or two.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #482
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
Feeling your pain! I've managed to squat once and press twice in the last 7 days due to insane time demands. I'm at the point now where I'm going to have to lay down the law with loved ones and be utterly selfish for at least a month or two.
Yeah my ex of 2 years and I hung out this weekend for the first time in about 2-3 months. She said, "wow! I can tell you're not working out any more, what happen?".
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #483
Phil Griffin

Profile:

How about this reason for not working out - Went with my two boys to play some baseball over the weekend. Ran into some neighborhood kids, got a mini game going. I was catching, working with my 9 year old on pitching, and he was really chucking it. A 10 year old steps in to bat, and I figure it's safe to catch w/ no gear, after all it's only a 9 year old throwing a peewee ball (rubberized, not that hard). Well, on about the 6th pitch, the 10 year old fouled it right back into my left eye. Didn't even have time to blink. I got a nice hyphema, which is blood in the anterior chamber of my eye, and a bit of a retinal hemorrhage. The doc said that if this happened 30 years ago I'd be on bed rest in the hospital for weeks. Anyway, no strenuous activity at all until further notice. Just as I was about to begin my 4th week of GSLP.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #484
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Did my first workout tonight from GSLP. We will see how sore I am tomorrow. Might have to back it down a little more than I planned.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #485
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

So, if I know my 1RM, is there an easy way for me to calculate where I should start my weights for GSLP?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #486
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
So, if I know my 1RM, is there an easy way for me to calculate where I should start my weights for GSLP?
There's several different sites that have a calculation that will tell you the range it should be based on your 1rm. Just try it over the next few times in the gym.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #487
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Sorta depends on what your training experience is. Personally, I started all my lifts at a level I could do the 2x5,1x5+ and get 5,5,10 and progressed alright. Highly recommend reading the books too.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #488
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
Sorta depends on what your training experience is. Personally, I started all my lifts at a level I could do the 2x5,1x5+ and get 5,5,10 and progressed alright. Highly recommend reading the books too.
I bought the PDF, is there a calculation in there, page #?
I have an Excel calculator for Starting Strength, I'll try that out and see where it puts me.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #489
James Orr

Profile:

I would use this to find your 5RM: http://www.ivannikolov.com/msns/calc...calculator.php (WFS)

From there, take 10-15% off. If you can get 8-10 reps on your last set, you're in the zone. Don't worry too much. Just get started and err on the side of starting too low rather than too high.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #490
Craig Horstman

Profile:

don't worry about figuring it off your maxes. find a weight where you can do 2x5, 1x10(ish) and go from there