CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #471
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to add 2.5 lbs to the presses without having to go out and buy fractional plates?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #472
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to add 2.5 lbs to the presses without having to go out and buy fractional plates?
Are you training from home or a commercial gym?
2.5lbs is 1.25lbs a side.
If training from home I'd put some washers or chain on each side, not sure if commercial gym will allow that.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #473
Craig Horstman

Profile:

if you know anybody that works with metal you could have some made, or you could just buy some. they're pretty cheap on rogue
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #474
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Something like this (WFS) would do the trick. Or get some big washers/fasteners with a 2" inner diameter.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #475
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
Are you training from home or a commercial gym?
2.5lbs is 1.25lbs a side.
If training from home I'd put some washers or chain on each side, not sure if commercial gym will allow that.
I was just going to do it at my box. I'm sure they'd be fine w me bringing in whatever I wanted. Chains might be the best option actually. I'll go to Home Depot this weekend and see what I can find in the way of washers or chains. I'd buy the Rogue fractional plates, but I don't really feel like spending $65 for 2.5lbs

I wonder if there's a scale somewhere I can use. I'd imagine they have something.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #476
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I think I have finally decided that after a few months off from really hitting the iron due to life just getting too hectic I think I'm going to come back and do some GSLP to get my strength back up to a decent level.

I will be doing the program exactly as outlined on M,W,F and do some power oly lifts and conditioning on T, Sat. I might add an additional met con after one of the lifting days, but would keep it pretty basic (read: short) if so.

Going to start tonight if I can get out of work before 8 (which would make for a 12 hour day).
Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #477
Tim Donahey

Profile:

What substitutions have people made who didn't want to isolate their necks? Grip work?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #478
Jon Barnes

Profile:

i got a pair of 1.25 lb plates from biggerfasterstronger.com a few weeks ago. Cost me around 13 bucks shipped. I was going to do the washer thing but this was about the same price. This is the cheapest i found.

http://biggerfasterstronger.com/deta...&search=&page=
Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #479
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Stone Waters View Post
Have a few questions about GSLP. I basically have a love hate relationship with the program. My lifts have improved significantly but at the same time I feel pretty out of shape and part of me wants to drop and go back to regular crossfit. I've been eating 4-5,000 calories a day. My body weight has gone from 175 to 200 (6'1 19 y/o male). Are there any ways I can adjust the program at this point to start getting back in shape, or should I just stay the course until I max out? I've been doing two 6-8 min metcons per week. I bought the book and saw the fm burpees idea. Is that something that I could add at this point that would be beneficial? Also, how many resets do most people do before completely maxing out.

Though the program has led to incredible strength gains for me I don't feel that great day to day. The diet doesn't make me feel good and I want to be able to work out more than 3 days a week. I'm sort of grappling with the decision of whether to stick it out and keep seeing these awesome gains or go back to something that makes me feel better. Or like I said add more fitness training into the current program. Any insight would be appreciated.

Back Squat:

Previous 1 rep max #205
Just did 255x5x5x9

Press:

Previous 1 rep max #120
Just did 125x5x5x7

Bench:

Previous 1 rep max 165
Just did 167.5x5x5x8

DL:

1 rep max 325
Have worked up to 10 at 295 so far

if you are getting fat and out of shape then you haven't been doing the program. there is no way a person that can do VC1 is going to look or feel out shape. i suppose it's possible but i doubt that is the case. with the FM work, you can work toward 3 of the 5 VC's. follow the standard linebaker or viking version and you will be fine. also, if you do feel you need to lose fat and work on conditioning, JP lays out several versions of the program for fat loss and conditioning. you can do those versions while you trim down while still following the program and gaining strength
Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #480
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I was two seconds from buying those from bfs.com, then I remembered there was a G & G Fitness store like 15 minutes from me. I called them up and they have them there for $0.89 per pound. Score!