CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-22-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
If the sampson stretch is held for the 30sec per leg that's one minute per stretch. Multiplied by 10-15 reps is 10-15 minutes times 3 sets is 30 to 45 minutes just for the stretch. Plus OH squats, sit ups, pull ups, dips and back extensions.

I realize the benefit of a warmup but I think and hour+ warm up is a little bit much.

Of course, there is a good possibility that I don't know what I'm talking about or I'm over analyzing to avoid actually doing a WOD.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Stanely,
Warm up takes me 15 minutes on the outside. I usually throw in a short 400-800 M run at the beginning, not to warm up, just because I am so bad at running. I hold the stretch 1-2 times per side.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
There's an official warm up? Where do I find it?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Brian,

You can find it on the main page under "friends of Crossfit" (middle of far right side). 4th one down: "Lynne PItts' Official CrossFit FAQ"

It's the 3rd last question in the list.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
Thanks, I've been through that FAQ a few times and never saw it before.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:51 AM   #6
Graham Hayes

Profile:
It isn't intended for you to do the samson stretch for eternity. The journal about the warm up only refers to the OHS, sit ups, back xtns, pull ups and dips being repeated for rounds. The stretch is only required once each leg. Stanley, get off your computer and do some workouts:happy: it's often the case that you will answer more questions by yourself by jumping in.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #7
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Thanks for the info, guys.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Stan

I think you are slightly off... You do one samson stretch per side. Holding for about 30 seconds each side. Then fly through your 15 reps of squats, situps, back extensions, pullups and dips. Then repeat two more times starting with a 30 second samson stretch on each side.

The stretch basically acts as a minute rest between rounds except instead of just sitting on your butt or drinking water, you do a nice deep stretch.

If done at a brisk pace it should easily take you under 15 minutes. In any event, you should probably stop wherever you are after about 15 minutes. Take a 3-5 minute water break and then begin your regularly scheduled workout.

Note that on days when the WOD calls for a lot of something that's already in the warmup, like pull ups. Feel free to substitute another exercise so you don't fry your arms/hands before the WOD. Also feel free to substitute skills exercises in the warmup. Example, OH squats are great if you are going to work snatches that day, but consider subbing front squats if you are working cleans. Consider subbing lunges if you are going to work on Jerks in the WOD.

Also if you workout in a gym, have a back up exercise in case a station is being used. Since you are trying to go fast and stay warm, if someone is at the pullup/dip station, do body rows hanging from a racked bar and pushups. There is one back extension aparatus at my gym that is often in use, so I'll just do head and leg lifts (supermans) lying on my belly, or wrestler bridges. Be flexible and work fast.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:20 PM   #9
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Great stuff!

thanks for the clarification.

consider this question answered.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:21 PM   #10
Douglas Sunlin

Profile:  
You mean you start the warm-up with a stretch? You probably don't wan't to stretch with cold muscles. Am I wrong?