CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Adam Burella

Profile:
I'm a university student from Ontario, Canada and I just wanted to stop in and say hi. I've been lurking for awhile on this message board and finally decided to give crossfit a shot. I've been doing abbreviated full-body programs for several years doing compound movements and olympic lifts. I also tried to add in sprint intervals for cardio but it always was the first to go when I got busy.

I like to read about the science behind training and from the first time I came across this website I thought it was a great concept. I'm having a hard time giving up the regular progression and concentration in strength movements but I definitely need to increase my fitness (not just my strength). The first two WODs kicked my ***.

I look forward to conversing with everyone here. There seems to be a ton of knowledge and maturity on this board.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
Welcome Adam.

You'll find Crossfit's approach so varied that it will, in short order, expose your weaknesses. You can then work your weaknesses in addition to the WOD, or tailor the WOD to allow you bring your weak areas up to speed. For example, my biggest weakness is lack of pure strength. Whenever weights are called for, I tend to slow down a bit so that I can lift an amount as close to Rx'ed as possible. I GTG some heavy lifts on the side. The only WOD's I'm not blown out of the water are the 5k's and 10k's (just partially blown out of the water).

Enjoy!
Old 04-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Hey Adam
I'm from Ottawa, and have just finished my 3rd month on crossfit.
You'll get all your questions answered here.
Enjoy
Steveo
Old 04-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Adam Burella

Profile:
Hey guys, thanks for the welcome.

Steven: I'm in Kingston during the school year and Hamilton during the summer(1 more year to go!). How are you adapting to crossfit? Seeing a lot of improvements in any specific areas?
Old 04-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Hey Adam
I'm seeing improvements in all areas.
The best advice I can give you is just to forget everything you had thought you knew about Physical Fitness. Do the workouts, just as they are written. If you take part in any other sports, do them on top of the workouts. I was pretty skeptical when I started, but had nothing to lose. 3 mos into it, and I'm seeing numbers like I've never seen before. I could give you some numbers, but for the most part, they're irrelevant. I was never a slacker, but lacked the knowledge, and background to devise a program to really push myself.
I could give you lots more info. if you want, but won't bore you for now. My advice, forget bicep curls, cable crossover rows, and whatever other garbage you see going on in the gym. Give Crossfit 3 or 4 mos., push yourself hard and fast. You wont be disappointed
Steveo
Old 04-06-2005, 03:29 AM   #6
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
I think over-half the difficulty in doing CrossFit is learning or improving the quality compound lifts and weightlifting (aka olympic lifts). From reading the opening thread-post, looks like you might have already stomped onto decent ground with exercise education. But trying to steer away from workouts you used to do, which is voluntary when you think about it, is very similar to the philosophy of "Empty Your Cup".
Old 04-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
Adam Burella

Profile:
I started crossfit with a sore throat and probably went too hard. It doesn't help that I'm doing school around the clock and its even cutting into my sleep. Ended up with this really bad cough. My chest wall is physically sore now from all the coughing. I decided to take some days off and recover (need to be healthy for the exam period). Next week I'll ramp up the intensity slower.

Hey Kawika:
That's a really good point. The problem is I'm having a hard time recovering from the crossfit workouts as is. Also, I barely have the time to do 2 hour long workouts a week and making crossfit work is going to require some sacrifice already. Maybe I'll experiment with more lifting in addition to crossfit this summer when I have some more time. I'm considering doing some gymnastics classes too.

Adam
Old 04-07-2005, 04:09 AM   #8
Dan Silver

Profile:

"There seems to be a ton of knowledge and maturity on this board."

Apparently you haven't seen my posts.

Good to have you.

-D.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:04 AM   #9
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hi Adam,

Dan is our token goofball. He isn't representative. No one else here ever laughs or jokes. :biggrin:

Welcome to Crossfit. It is a great community as well as fitness program.