CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
Shawn Taylor

Profile:
I have been searching thru some old posts, and found a lot of diet reccs, questions on hard gainers, etc. I did not quite find the exact type of thread I was looking for. I am mainly looking at techniques some of you use for not letting your appetite get out of hand.

For me, high intensity exercise equals a high intensity appetite. I do not mean hunger. I do not mean cravings for a comfort food or a favorite food. Those are pretty will power controllable. I mean intense appetite. The kind that makes you jealous of the wolves ripping flesh off an elk on the nature channel. Sort of a primal level urge that does not really want to listen to reason.

I am new to here, and not entirely sure if this post should be on the starting or nutrition forum. But I took a guess at nutrition, but decided to post it here also. I am sorry if it is not quite right for here.

I have been doing Crossfit for almost 15 weeks, and am having the most massive appetite that I have had in years. I have had it before in the past.

In my teens and early 20s I did a very crossfit type exercise regimen with way too much running added and some regular weight training. I had a super massive appetite then, but the metabolism where I could not gain fat.

Then, until my mid 20s I did a decent amount of running with a serious amount of weights. Again, a massive appetite, but no serious fat gain.

From my mid twenties to early thirties I did way too litte aerobic, but some high intensity powerlifting type weight training, had a massive appetite, and turned into a fatty. Very strong, but a fatty none the less. When I started doing more aerobic, and watching the caloric intake, I realized the metabolism was not what it used to be! I was now prone to gaining.

I quit the heavy lifting, continued with some regular weights and running. I got rid of a lot of the fat, but lost a lot of strength and lean size. For the past few years I was stuck on the moderate intensity, moderate run typical exercise regimen. I had cravings for bad food like anyone else might, but not a beastly out of control appetite.

The crossfit intensity, plus the extra running, rowing, and bag work I have been doing makes me need a ton of sleep and have a mega appetite. I am taking in sound proportions of protein and fat, so it is not the typical USA processed carbs diet hunger. I have gained 10 pounds in the past 15 weeks. My waist is not larger, but my goal of decreasing body weight/ body fat does not seem to be working out.

My main question,
How many of you also have a massive appetite doing Crossfit?
and, for those of you that do-
If you also are faced with a prone to gain metabolism, and cannot cosume all you want without fat gain (yeah, I miss those days),
how do you control your appetite?

I have been drinking tons (not alcolhol, just non caloric fluids like water), and that is not helping.

Any and all hints and types would be welcome,-
I hope to hear from some of you with similar situations

Anyways, I am very happy to have found CF. I am not near as nimble on the ropes or anything at all like I was over 20 years ago. I am a lot stronger than I was then but not near the strength to weight ratio and agility. Like many I have seen in a search of posts,
I only wish I did not get sidetracked for almost two decades with standard type weight training, low to mod intensity aerobic, periods of getting out of shape, etc. The familar "I wish I started CF years ago or found it sooner"!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Macro nutrient ratios of meals and GI/GL of carbs can also play a big roll on appetite.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Hi Shawn, great post and a good thread . . . but . .. we :angry: cross-posting, and your similar post in "Nutrition" is getting more traction.

Closing this one. Readers who want to add are invited to comment on the Nutrition section.