CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
When to return from surgery

Last Wednesday, I had laparoscopic surgery to remove about 10" of my sigmoid colon along with a mass (Tubulovillous adenoma). I was released from the hospital on Saturday. The main post op issues were related to pain in the abdomen from swelling and stretching the tissue where the main incision was made (about 2" in length starting at belly button and proceeding downward). Swelling seems 90%+ gone. Same for pain. When can I return to WODs and how slow/methodical should I be? Definitely not looking to do kipping pull ups or toes to bar the first week back, but where should I start and how should i progress from there? Doc wants me out from lifting for a month, and perhaps out of everything. Not sure he really has a Rx for returning to activity. He did his part to remove the tissue and he's done. I think the big concern would be doing too much too quickly and risking a hernia at the incision point(s). Any thoughts, suggestions, experience are appreciated.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: When to return from surgery

Ask your doctor. Not someone on here. Even a surgeon isn't going to be able to know unless it's your own. Too many variables, complications, etc.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
John C Blattner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Ask your doctor. Not someone on here. Even a surgeon isn't going to be able to know unless it's your own. Too many variables, complications, etc.
What he said. Absolutely.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Surgical staples are not bullet proof, and easily fail if they are stressed.
If he said a month, then the month is the minimum time, Even then, it's baby steps and then turtle speeds.
What do your keyholes look like? Red? Pink? Flesh tone? Then that is what the inside repair work is looking like.
Doing too much, too fast, too soon. Could give you, peritonitis, super infections, sepsis, more surgeries, major lifestyle changes and possibly death....

Time/ rest is your best workout. Even pro athletes play the game from the bench once in awhile.