CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Chris Rebmann

Profile:
Question Running...Tips...

I have never been a good runner or at least liked to run. My question is to anyone who likes running. Can you give me any tips that will get me into running a bit or at least ease me in. I am not sure if I have given enough information but.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Steven Webster

Profile:
Re: Running...Tips...

Yes, set yourself very small comfortable goals like 100m, for example, and jog. Gradually step outside your comfort zone, and run further, during the same time or day or at different times.

Pace yourself and get comfortable in the moment. Be happy just running without any particular goal in mind too.

Get some good shoes and stretch your calves after exercise.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #3
Rene Alonzo

Profile:

I second the recommendation for good shoes.

I HATE running but can't deny its benefits.

The single best thing I have ever done to keep me running 3 days a weeks for the past 6 years is to have a running buddy or group. If someone is looking for you, you'll show up.
I've even told my friends NOT to tell me when they're not going to be there so that I'll still go. ....I have to play these mind games with myself. Granted, my pace barely matches that of continental drift, but dammit, I log the miles!

Be patient and good luck!
I hear there's a "Runner's High"....let me know if you experience it, I'm still waiting.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
David Hagerty

Profile:

Chris,
My advice for getting into running would be to start slow and build up like anything else. Get an ipod nano and put about 6 of your favorite 3-4 minute songs on a playlist. Run for the duration of those songs and be done. Gradually increase number of songs or what have you. I no longer listen to music when I'm running. I've never really been an LSD guy cause truthfully every time I go run between 5k and 10k I'm going all out. But listening to music can keep your mind off each step and I always felt it gave me a little boost with each new song. Over time I felt like running was more of a release than a workout. Another thing I did that was always sweet was run during late afternoon/dusk. Seeing the sky with a bunch of sweet colors and the sun going down is always cool running. Haha I hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Technique is also very important. Pick up "chi running" and/or look into teh POSE method of running. Helped me, and many others.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Technique is also very important. Pick up "chi running" and/or look into teh POSE method of running. Helped me, and many others.
I agree.

If your technique is shoddy when you start running correctly it will feel EFFORTLESS.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Alonzo View Post
I hear there's a "Runner's High"....let me know if you experience it, I'm still waiting.
I've ran on and off since I was a kid. The last race I did was the 10 mi Kilauea crater race when I was in seventh grade and various shorter races before that. I still suck at running to this day. The only time I feel runner's high is when a run is over or really close to being over.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

As for the books, the Chi Running book is very touchy-feely and may not be the right fit for everyone. I would suggest skimming through a copy before you buy it off the internet. As for the Pose Method, the original book is not much more than one very long winded story of who developed the Pose Method and why you should use it, and very short on how to do it. The Pose Triathlon book would be a better choice. Just my two cents.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Check out this recent topic on the boards (w/fs):

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=45525

There is a link there to an article about using cheap, minimalist shoes (or no shoes), and how there is a direct relationship between the price of the shoe and the incidence of injury. So buy cheap shoes or run barefoot and you'll very quickly pick up the correct technique - it feels weird at first. w/fs:

http://refreshingnews9.blogspot.com/...iners-are.html
Old 04-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
Marc Tower

Profile:

Here's another good article on running shoes and injuries:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...ste-money.html (WFS)

or you can link to it from the CrossFit Endurance site. (mostly WFS)