CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Brian Wilson

Profile:
Trying to convince a boxing coach to let me do CF in his gym...

I sent in my affiliation last week to start Potomac CrossFit in DC. Space here is horribly expensive and tough to find, but I randomly found a boxing gym in a random alley. I talked to the coach/owner about renting some of his space when he's not training (which is a lot of the time). The main demographic is yuppies who want to kick each other's butt during lunch and after work.

Anyway, there's a little space that I could use to start training my clients and he doesn't even open until 12:30. So I could take the whole morning and not even bother him, and hence get a decent rate.

The problem is I started describing CrossFit and he was almost 100% turned off by it. He was jazzed about kettlebells because one of his guys used it and he drastically improved his fighting. This guy said that weightlifting is too static (tried to explain that we do a lot of oly lifts - i.e., explosive, but he didn't get it) and bodyweight/gymnastic stuff. But he didn't even like the thought of it.

Now I have a little fighting experience (boxing, wrestling, judo, Hop Ki Do, USMC Martial Arts Program, Krag Maga) but this guy is like a "I've boxed for 40 years" so I'm not really able to go head to head with him on training with just me as a source saying "Me like CrossFit, CrossFit good." I'm not even trying to train any of his people, I just want to use his space when he's not using it. But I need to make him comfortable with my methods.

So any suggestions on how to approach this? Does anybody know of any successful boxing programs that have adopted CrossFit as their training program?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Alex J. Perez

Profile:
Re: Trying to convince a boxing coach to let me do CF in his gym...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilson View Post
I sent in my affiliation last week to start Potomac CrossFit in DC. Space here is horribly expensive and tough to find, but I randomly found a boxing gym in a random alley. I talked to the coach/owner about renting some of his space when he's not training (which is a lot of the time). The main demographic is yuppies who want to kick each other's butt during lunch and after work.

Anyway, there's a little space that I could use to start training my clients and he doesn't even open until 12:30. So I could take the whole morning and not even bother him, and hence get a decent rate.

The problem is I started describing CrossFit and he was almost 100% turned off by it. He was jazzed about kettlebells because one of his guys used it and he drastically improved his fighting. This guy said that weightlifting is too static (tried to explain that we do a lot of oly lifts - i.e., explosive, but he didn't get it) and bodyweight/gymnastic stuff. But he didn't even like the thought of it.

Now I have a little fighting experience (boxing, wrestling, judo, Hop Ki Do, USMC Martial Arts Program, Krag Maga) but this guy is like a "I've boxed for 40 years" so I'm not really able to go head to head with him on training with just me as a source saying "Me like CrossFit, CrossFit good." I'm not even trying to train any of his people, I just want to use his space when he's not using it. But I need to make him comfortable with my methods.

So any suggestions on how to approach this? Does anybody know of any successful boxing programs that have adopted CrossFit as their training program?
Well if he lets you rent the space out, do your thing with your clients and let him do his thing with his boxers. Make it so what you're doing is non-threatening and non-preaching to his clientele. Time will tell who is more fit. Even slowly start to manipulate his view. Have one or two of your clients start taking boxing classes with him and let their power-endurance and agility show itself in the ring. If he isnt 100% ignorrant/arrogant something might come out of it. He noticed that kettlebells improved some of his fighters abilities, show what else can improve it. Call him out on his tunnel vision (but in a polite and non-direct way for now)

A
Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Carlo Mattia

Profile:

Brian
good luck the boxing community has always been closed minded lets not loose focus go at him with the business end of alleviating some of his overhead(appeal to his pockets) get your crossfit on and once he see how you tear through a workout that would smoke most of his guys(his guys may have the cardio but certainly not the muscle endurance) that will start to turn his head and open his eyes
good luck
Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Travis Wendt

Profile:

I think the best way to do is the at what those above said. Show him rather than tell him. It's a lot more poignant.