CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Tish Traster

Profile:
Be careful what you wish for! ;-)

As a new business in what the media is calling one of the worst economic depressions our country has ever seen....my affiliate is thriving. Go figure!

I opened my small 1,500 sq. ft. box, a lone CrossFit trainer...wanting a small place to call my own and "help people". Be careful what you wish for! I grew from 8 full time clients to pushing 60 in less that 7 months and continue to sign new members weekly. Currently we have 3 Level 1 trainers and one USAW Club Coach. I plan to attend my Level 2 cert early next year.

My question is this...........how many affiliate owners experienced "new box burnout" in their first year. I don't mean "burnout" like...I'm burnt out...tired and done with CrossFit. I mean "burnout" simply from lack of sleep and too much work. Don't get me wrong, I feel blessed and thankful...just tired...like I have a new born baby

I've read all the "help" books on business mentioned in the threads here and they've helped some. I'm learning to delegate more and now have two full days off from working "in" my business planned into my work week.

Any suggestions or stories I might relate to? Does it "settle down"...taper off?

Thanks again for this great support network ~Tish
Old 09-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: Be careful what you wish for! ;-)

Read "the 4-hour work week". There's a lot of BS in it, but it gets you thinking about how you can delegate and do things differently. It's worth a read.

http://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workwee...3642690&sr=8-2 WFS)

Keep reminding yourself these are "good problems" to have as opposed to "bad problems" You don't want those.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:

If you do not set up work processes, business systems and build a good team, no it never tapers off. If you do, it can. Balancing funds vs. your own work load is always a challenge, but be smart and surround yourself with good people.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
If you do not set up work processes, business systems and build a good team, no it never tapers off. If you do, it can. Balancing funds vs. your own work load is always a challenge, but be smart and surround yourself with good people.
This is all true: Balancing funds vs. your own work load....was problem in the beginning, getting more affordable now.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Read "the 4-hour work week". There's a lot of BS in it, but it gets you thinking about how you can delegate and do things differently. It's worth a read.

http://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workwee...3642690&sr=8-2 WFS)

Keep reminding yourself these are "good problems" to have as opposed to "bad problems" You don't want those.
This one I have NOT read. Thank you. Got it off Amazon just now.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Jae Chung

Profile:

Tish, I have no suggestions for you, but it's good to hear of your continued success. I am looking to open my own box soon and can only hope to experience similar "problems." =)

What are the things that are taking up your time? Cleaning? Paperwork? Updating your website? If you post more details, you may get some precise suggestions.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Andre Urquiza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Chung View Post
What are the things that are taking up your time? Cleaning? Paperwork? Updating your website? If you post more details, you may get some precise suggestions.
I agree. Being more specific will allow people to give you some good feedback. Do your team members have clear cut roles? Are they empowered to handle situations outside their specific 'duties'?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Urquiza View Post
I agree. Being more specific will allow people to give you some good feedback. Do your team members have clear cut roles? Are they empowered to handle situations outside their specific 'duties'?
One of my biggest problems is probably me. I'll admit I have control issues. I'm working on that. I'm a perfectionist. I like things, everything... done a "certain" way. Particularly client consults, my On-Ramp classes and believe it or not ....cleaning.

1.Let's start with cleaning. Spending $400/month on a service once a week just seems like an expense I cannot afford, so I break everything down on Mondays and clean really well, myself. During the week everyone picks up after themselves and wipes down equipment after use.

My trainers are paid per each CrossFit session they teach. How do you pay your trainers for things such as cleaning or handle your cleaning?

2. Running errands....bank deposits, office supplies...etc.... I'm probably running too many errands...doing things that can wait? Suggestions?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
John Barry

Profile:

I don't run a crossfit facility but I do run a chain of bakeries on the side of my regular job working as a sales manger.
http://www.amazon.com/One-Minute-Man.../dp/0688103804YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

This series of books changed my life for the better i can not recommend them enough.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 09-28-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #10
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Traster View Post
One of my biggest problems is probably me. I'll admit I have control issues. I'm working on that. I'm a perfectionist. I like things, everything... done a "certain" way. Particularly client consults, my On-Ramp classes and believe it or not ....cleaning.

1.Let's start with cleaning. Spending $400/month on a service once a week just seems like an expense I cannot afford, so I break everything down on Mondays and clean really well, myself. During the week everyone picks up after themselves and wipes down equipment after use.

My trainers are paid per each CrossFit session they teach. How do you pay your trainers for things such as cleaning or handle your cleaning?

2. Running errands....bank deposits, office supplies...etc.... I'm probably running too many errands...doing things that can wait? Suggestions?

No direct experience with gyms, but when I worked as a server at a restaurant we were required to clean every night even though our pay was almost entirely tips (which we obviously didn't get while cleaning every night). That was just a cost of doing business. I don't see why trainers couldn't do the same.