CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 AM   #31
Cal Jones

Profile:
Ha ha! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing eh?

For the record, I feel as though I've been run over by a steamroller. My back muscles are sore from top to bottom (in a good way, though).

Got Thai boxing tonight - be interesting to see who is more sore and fatigued - me or my instructor, who ran the marathon yesterday.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #32
Chad McBroom

Profile:
Okay, I finally did the workout. When I started this discussion I was pretty new to CF. I just finished my 6th week, and I have a better understanding of the program and its principles. I'm also in much better condition than when I started.

My time was 41:37 as Rx'd. I could have shaved several minutes off had I not been interrupted several times (disadvantage of having a gym next door to your office) I did not have KB's, so I used 35lb DB's. The floorwipers were a first time for me, so they took a little extra time.

It was a pretty good smoke session, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Of course, if I'd tried it six weeks ago I'd probably be in the hospital. :rip:
Old 05-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #33
Patrick Henry

Profile:
This is my first post on CrossFit, and fittingly so, because like one poster above, the "300 workout" is what led me to CrossFit. I posted my results on another forum, and a CrossFit member over there suggested that this was a great resourse for my training.

I completed the workout without any "training" of that type. My time was bordering on embarrasing, but I completed it.

a) Pullups - 25 reps
25 in 33 seconds. This is going to be easy...
b) Deadlifts with 135lbs - 50 reps
30 reps...rest..12 reps...rest...8 reps. Took about 2:30 total. Still not doing bad.
c) Pushups - 50 reps
50 in one set, no rest, no sweat. Still cruising. Took about 1:30 including moving the DL bar. Total of under 5 minutes through 3 full exercises.
d) 24-inch Box jumps - 50 reps
Not exaclty 24 inches, but close. 15 reps...rest...15...rest...20. Took about 2:30.
e) Floor wipers - 50 reps
These were killers for me, time wise. I only weigh 158, and to do these with 135 on the bar was not easy. I did them in 5 sets of 10 with a rest in between. I actually thought after the 3rd set that there was a chance that I might not finish the workout. These easily took 5 minutes...at this point, I was not watching the clock. These were the worst part of the workout. I used 2 "Step" risers under the plates on each side to position the bar.
f) Single-arm Clean-and-Press with 36lbs Kettlebell - 50 reps
Not too bad, but I was pretty taxed from the "hold" portion of the floor wipes. I used a 35 lb DB, since my gym lacks kettleballs. I did 10 w/ each arm, 10 with each arm, 5 with each arm. DOING them was not bad, but I was at a point (phychologically) where I did not want to pick the weight up between sets. These probably took another 5 minutes to do the 50 reps.
g) Pullups - 25 reps
set of 15, slight rest, set of 10...finish as the clock hit 24 minutes on the dot.

I used to do similar challenges when I was wrestling in college, but we could pick the weight and the lifts- the challenge was to lift 2 tons (per exercise) in the shortest amount of time using DL, C&P, Bench, and Squat with 100 lb. on the bar.

A bigger guy might not have as much trouble handling the weights listed for this workout, because the DL and floorsweep are still performed with 135, regardless of bodyweight, and the single-arm cleans still use 36/35 lb. I had no idea how to scale the workout, so I did it as published.

I am 30, 5'5" and 158 lb.

After seeing how exhausted and invigorated this workout made me feel, I realized that I need to change my workouts to more of this type of training. As of now, my only cardio is 90 minutes a week of wrestling with the HS team that I coach. I weight train 4 or 5 days a week.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 AM   #34
Cal Jones

Profile:
Start doing the WODs. That's what I've been doing, after years (literally about 20 years) of more bodybuilding-type workouts interspersed by running and the odd cardio session.
I've made great progress already.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #35
Jeff Martin

Profile:
47/M/165#
Been doing Crossfit for about 3.5 years. It's a fine workout, but nothing special. Breathing was taxed, but nothing else particularly. Might use it again as a warmup for the filthy fifty.

13:59
Old 06-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #36
Chad McBroom

Profile:
Wow! Guess I've got a long way to go.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #37
Patrick Henry

Profile:
I know that this is a slightly older thread, but I had a down day (my workout partner was not at work) so I took the opportunity to re-do the 300 workout to see how several weeks of CF workouts might improve my performance.

Today, I did the 300 wokout a second time. My completion time dropped from 24:00 flat to 18:45, plus I think that my form improved. Also, the last time I had used straps on the deadlifts, since my grip is crap. This time I went sans straps.

The workout:
25 pullups- 1 set
50 deadlifts (135 lb.)- 3 sets: 25, 15, 10
50 pushups- 1 set
50 bench jumps- 2 sets: 25, 25
50 floor wipes (Holding 135 lb. bar)- 5 sets of 10 reps
50 DB one-arm clean-and-presses (35 lb.)- 15 each arm, 10 each arm, with no rest between sets.
25 pullups- 1 set, slight kipping on reps 18-25.

Recovery time to RHR was MUCH lower, and I feel a LOT better after this time around than the first time.

(Message edited by phenryiv1 on June 15, 2007)
Old 06-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #38
Gordon Limb

Profile:
Been doing crossfit for 2+ years now, and like Jeff, didn't think it was anything that special. I heard about it from an out of shape guy at work who thougt it would be "right up your alley".
Used my parallettes as the starting blocks for the floor press/wipers. Did 25 each side - couldn't remember if it was the "same" kb clean and press. Also subb'd snatches for the kb cleans since my shoulders are still a bit taxed from JT yesterday.

It wasn't easy enough for me to use as a filthy fifty warmup :bleh0000:, but maybe a 150 version may make a good daily warmup prior to a WoD.

15:29

Old 06-25-2007, 07:39 PM   #39
John Biddle

Profile:
Just interested - descriptions above indicate people regard "floor wipers" as involving lying down holding a bar in the extended bench press position. Not being familiar with the exercise I googled it and the description I got involved lying down with no bar and doing sort of side crunches taking your right hand down to your right knee, then left to left etc. Given that no weight is specified in the description of this "300" workout, do we know that it is the version involving a bar and bringing the feet up to the plates that is intended?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:27 AM   #40
Patrick Henry

Profile:
There was a video demo on several of the sites that explain the components of the "300" workout, and on all of the video logs- including one linked to a documentary of the making of the movie- the exercise was performed on the floor with a 135 lb. bench-press in a static hold position.

BTW- 1 rep consists of touching both plates.