CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Andy Mullins

Profile:
Pre workout energy for 2+ hours

Hey guys,

Couple of questions: I play softball in a pretty competitive league. I play an outfield rover position that plays against hitters tenancies, we do a lot of stunting, faking and just general running to psych hitters.
Before I started crossfit/paleo a month ago I would eat some pasta about 1.5hours before game and 15min prior I would take a blood vasculator called superpump 250 that would give me incredible energy for 2-4 hours. If I didn't have that I would take a 5 hour energy which would also do the trick.
I have not done either since going strict paleo, not even my standard cup of coffee every morning.
Now 30min into a game I feel lethargic, dead on my feet, my reactions are slower, I know it's not placebo as it has been noticed by other players. I have been trying to eat a little fruit pregame but it's not nearly as effective as the supplements. I've tried eating a little meat but that doesn't work at all in fact it makes it worse.
Because I work 9 hours a day and I do my workouts at 6am I don't do a WOD that morning because that only intensifies the loss of energy.

My diet is the best it's been in my life, I eat plenty and I workout at an affiliate 4 days a week.

What could I eat that would give me a good boost in energy and last for 2+ hours?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Ben Kissam

Profile:
Re: Pre workout energy for 2+ hours

I think you should try to let your body adjust to working out without those stimulants in your body. It will probably take a bit of time because you're body is used to playing softball when your body is pumping these fake energy things through it. You could probably try a dried fruit and maybe some nuts combo, or have a little coffee before if that wasn't the answer you wanted.

Hope this helps
Old 07-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I personally like nuts, fruit and olive oil.

I work at a very physical job on a farm 5 days a week, 9-14 hours a day and I do CFFB/Strength training 3-5 days a week as my schedule allows. I don't ever get tired until about 10 o' clock at night which is when I want to get tired.

Are you sure you eat plenty? You may need a lot more than you think.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

My guess would be some combination of (a) not eating enough in general, and (b) needing more carbs.

Katherine
Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Andy Mullins

Profile:

I want to reiterate this. I eat PLENTY. I'm 6'2" 182lbs. For breakfast after my workout I have a chicken breast sautéed w/EVOO in a healthy amount of onions, scallions, green onions and peppers as well as 2 eggs scrambled/fried and a mixed assortment of raspberry's, strawberries and blueberries. About 10am I'll have a handful of almonds/walnuts/macadamias, for lunch I'll have either paleo spaghetti made with grass fed beef (about 5-6oz) on a bed of spaghetti squash (this covers about half a plate), with a mixed assortment of broccoli/calliflower/carrots. For midday snack I have grassfed beef homemade jerky that I make once every 2 weeks. For dinner I eat a 6-8 ounces of beef/chicken with more broccoli or spinach and a few berry's.

This is a typical day for me. Now I haven't implemented this into fitday or anything but I think this is eating enough maybe even a little MORE than I used too.

What do you all think?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mullins View Post
This is a typical day for me. Now I haven't implemented this into fitday or anything but I think this is eating enough maybe even a little MORE than I used too.

What do you all think?
That without counting up the calories it's impossible to say. Many people find that going paleo sharply reduces their calorie intake because the foods are less calorie dense.

That looks like a decent amount of food, but at your size and activity level you need a pretty good amount.

Katherine