CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #51
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:
Re: 400m time guidelines

Wow -- thanks for this, George. I had set as a goal for myself for 2008 to run a sub-60 400m, before I found CrossFit. Sadly, strangely, I've only run the 400 three times (got a :70, :63, and :62). That last :62 was very strange -- I really expected faster, but I've also gained some 15 pounds, from 196 - 211 pounds --- I had extra energy and wind at the end but my legs were feeling thick and, er, like mud or brick, and simply wouldn't turn over faster. It was really frustrating.

I need to get video. I think my turnover is way too slow. I was a distance runner for about 20 years, and I think I habituated slow hips because of it.

I can't wait to get some sprint and POSE training. I'd really love to see CrossFit focus on something like 40 Speed: http://www.40speed.com (WFS).

* * BTW, I just posted on my blog today about running with a bunch of good links / references at the bottom of the post: Running: Speed Is Wisdom (WFS)

You might find the links useful -- it's pertinent stuff.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #52
Andres Gordo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I can run a 55 sec 400m on a good day, and can't do a 2x bodyweight squat, I can do a 2.6xBW deadlift though lol.

The key to the 400 is breaking it down in my opinion and if you aren't a good turn runner, you need to learn to be one. Watch many, many videos of Tyson ***. He is an AMAZING turn runner. Be fun to watch him and Bolt of Jamaica battle in Beijing.

I was an 800 runner in high school. I did it like this - first 500, all out pace, cruise through turn, all out on straight away, cruise through turn, sprint last 100. Just how I do that race. The 400 to me is all about NOT STARTING TOO FAST. If you use all your have in the anaerobic phase you will not switch over well. World class runners are so fast they spend the majority of the race in that zone. CrossFit alone should be helping you to extend that zone and make your switch over more efficient.

Finally - learn to run properly. Form is essential to being a good 400m runner, or any distance runner at that. I personally never liked anything past 800m. You should be hitting roughly 4-5 steps per second in your stride. If you are slower than that you won't improve. Get your feet moving faster. Lots of 100s will help. Video tape yourself doing a 100 and count your strides. In a 13 second 100 you should have roughly 65 steps.

Thats all I can think of right now.
Thanks for the tips.

If you any more tips on how to make the turns better it will be good too.

Last edited by Andres Gordo : 06-25-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #53
Christin Street

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post
I'm there with you Veronica....1:40min on the 400 but if I had nothing to do afterward...maybe a tad bit faster.
Wow! I posted this 2 months ago and now I can do a 400m in 1:28. This stuff works!
Old 01-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #54
Brian Sheely

Profile:

I don't know how untrained is defined in this context, but I'm willing to bet money that 95% of men in this country couldn't do 400 meters in under 3 minutes.