CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Matthew Fried

Profile:
Sandbag Move Strategy

What method, if there is one, is most efficient to do the Sandbag Move from the 2010 CF Games?

I've been thinking about this a bit since watching the Games. Each athlete has different strengths & weaknesses, so there probably will be multiple answers as to what works best for each particular athlete.

Maybe someone smarter than me can figure it out. Perhaps there is an actual mathematical formula that can be created & applied? I know that "work" can be calculated, it's done on "Beyond the Whiteboard" when you enter your data and results from a WOD.

So what would yield the least amount of work? Less trips up & down the landings of stairs, or more trips carrying less load? Throwing the bags, but then picking them up over & over? There are many many variables - but many fixed parts of the equation as well. Each athlete has distance to travel & the same partitions of weights to move.

For the sake of discussion let's assume that two athletes of the same ability were going head to head. They both can only carry the same amount of bags at any given time, both run at the same speed, both are the same height, both throw the same distance, etc.

How would you coach them to do it?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Sandbag Move Strategy

If you reduce the number of trips, you reduce the amount of work because you don't have to move your own bodyweight as many times. It's probably also faster, for the same reason.

However, there's a point of diminishing returns: if the load for each trip is too heavy, it will slow you down so much that it offsets the benefit of fewer trips.

Katherine
Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I think by watching them the throwing didn't really pay off. It seemed that dragging the sandbags down was the fastest and probably conserved more energy provided you didn't get caught on the seats. By dragging you are moving them less since you don't have to pick them up to shoulder height and get them situated and you're letting gravity do some of the work for you at the expense of increased friction...which wasn't much.

Then building a pile at the end if you were short so you could put over the two heaviest sandbags and then deconstruct the pile to get the remaining. That's how it seemed to me anyway.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Matthew Fried

Profile:

I agree - I thought the dragging seemed pretty efficient! Drag them down, throw them over, and save yourself the lifting!