CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
Morgan McGaha

Profile:
Re: We need a water/swim obstacle in a CF competition. Why?

How about ending with a swim? Do a killer curcuit, then end with a swift swim
Old 08-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Or do bodyweight exercises along with the swim rather than barbells.

Although I do wonder to what extent this thread is motivated by an interest in seeing elite CFers in swimwear.

Katherine
Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
What's wrong with just ... swimming?

WODs don't have to be circuits, you know.
And they don't have to involve equipment at all.

Swim, squat, burpee, pushup, yada yada. Pretty easy to design a WOD involving swimming without any other gear.

- Mark
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Love the diea of a swim. If you dig back in the main site archives, there were swim WOD back in the early blog days.

We put a team from my box in an event recently on base here:

6 person teams, 5 35lb rucks and a six mile course. Sprinkled throughout:

USMC obstacle course
team situps
team pushups
buddy carry (400m)
stretcher carry (500m)
memory box
bear crawl relay (600m)
swim relay (600yd)
log carry (400m)

The swim was the third event from the last, performed slick. It was fairly light for the practiced swimmers but it crushed the non-swimmers.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Pär Larsson

Profile:

On second thought maybe calling people deadbeat parents for not getting their kids swimming skills or making sure an adult who can swim is around when the kids play in a river ...is a bit harsh. Not everyone grows up with easy access to a pool or lake like I did. And part of it is cultural, too. Let's call the city planners and the kindergarten/middle school curriculum developers a bit negligent for not putting

"Every kid should know how to swim by the age of 8" in the curriculum.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Pär Larsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post

The swim was the third event from the last, performed slick. It was fairly light for the practiced swimmers but it crushed the non-swimmers.
And THAT's what we need in the Games next year. We need something that opens Crossfitters' eyes to having to be proficient or at least passable in a short swim if they want to claim to be "Fittest On Earth".

We don't need to be long-distance swimmers. We don't need to be triathletes (cycling is not an essential life skill, and isn't very "Paleo" or "caveman" style - which is sort of how I envision GPP).

But a few otherwise very fit people getting crushed by a VERY SIMPLE SKILL that a large part of the worlds population knows how to do - would do wonders for getting the average CFer to get their butt in the pool and learn if they don't already know. I don't think there's a need or a very practical way to get the average gym to incorporate this - it's just something that the elite people looking at Regionals and the Games need to realize could or better yet WILL HAPPEN to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_swimming#Lessons WFS:

Quote:
In Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Estonia and Finland, the curriculum for the fifth grade (fourth grade in Estonia) states that all children should learn how to swim as well as how to handle emergencies near water. Most commonly, children are expected to be able to swim 200 metres (660 ft) – of which at least 50 metres (160 ft) on their back – after first falling into deep water and getting their head under water. Even though about 95 percent of Swedish school children know how to swim, drowning remains the third most common cause of death among children.[3]

In both the Netherlands and Belgium swimming lessons under school time (schoolzwemmen, school swimming) are supported by the government. Most schools provide swimming lessons. ...the Dutch translation for the breaststroke swimming style is even schoolslag (schoolstroke). In France, swimming is a compulsory part of the curriculum for primary schools. Children usually spend one semester per year learning swimming during CE1/CE2/CM1 (2nd, 3d and 4th grade).

In the UK, the "Top-ups scheme" calls for school children who cannot swim by the age of 11 to receive intensive daily lessons. These children who have not reached Great Britain's National Curriculum standard of swimming 25 metres by the time they leave primary school will be given a half-hour lesson every day for two weeks during term-time.[4]

In Canada and Mexico there has been a call for swimming to be included in the public school curriculum.[5]
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #17
Pär Larsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Or do bodyweight exercises along with the swim rather than barbells.

Although I do wonder to what extent this thread is motivated by an interest in seeing elite CFers in swimwear.

Katherine
I talked to some of the girls at my box about this, and they said they wouldn't have worn a swimsuit underneath nor cared if their sports bra got wet in the middle of a WOD at the Games. I guess some sexy pictures is good for CrossFit's media appeal, but this kind of stuff should be advertised ahead of time so we don't get into an involuntary "wet t-shirt contest" situation.

Now, Cammille Leblanc-Bazinet no matter what she's wearing as long as she's talking... *jawdrop*
Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
Jeff Binek

Profile:

I don't understand the obsession with swimming lately in CF, people have been doing great without it for about 5-6 years now. If you want to do it on your own, then so be it, but don't start expressing the need for everyone else to do it (same with biking). I used to be a fantastic swimmer from ages 5-12 then got burned out and focused on other sports. I am still an efficient swimmer and beat most of my old friends in races for fun, and I still try to get to the pool a few times a year mainly just for fun (see water basketball). However if someone has managed to get into their 20's or 30's never having swam before than it obviously is not important to that persons life and is definitely not going to be life threatening to them. Same goes for biking, are you a bad parent because you don't teach your kid to ride a bike? I honestly cannot remember the last time I was on a bike, or if I ever actually NEEDED to be on a bike. Who are we to say that you should HAVE to know how to swim or bike? My guess is that if they managed to avoid the pool for 20+ years now that they are grown and can make their own decisions that they are not going to take vacations to lakes, rivers or oceans, and are not going to spend their summers at the pool, so who cares if they know how to swim or not? Also just adding stuff into CF workouts isn't going to do the trick, tbh if they started adding in swimming to the mainsite, etc. I would totally ignore it, and if it came up in the sectionals / regionals I would be totally confident in my abilities having done zero swim specific workouts. Thats why Crossfit is GPP (which is not caveman stuff, but what is relevant in YOUR specific life), there is all kinds of stuff you could start to say is 'life-saving' and therefore should be added to WoDs but that gets ridiculous really fast, and is not a good way to program a fitness regiment. In reality you would be way better off practicing CPR technique and the heimlich if you were truly concerned with real life saving because last time I checked I have performed CPR twice and have yet to come on an instance of lifting a fallen tree off of a person. Instead of looking at the one thing (aparently) she cannot do, maybe you should praise her on her accomplishments so far, because maybe she doesn't give two ****s about swimming, I don't.

Edit: And if you threw it into the games, say AFTER every event, they threw that in, are you seriously going to sit there and after a 200m swim or 500m swim go "Ok, NOW they can officially be considered the fittest man/woman in the world, but definitely NOT before that swim, that swim TOTALLY DEFINED THE GAMES and definitely pushed my opinion over the edge!" That is ridiculous.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43

Last edited by Jeff Binek : 08-03-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #19
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
A huge problem with water is the inability to incorporate it into the WOD as crossfit does with running. It would be annoying, hard and probably dangerous to jump out of a pool and do cleans with wet hands.

Towel drying then chalking can't get your hands dry enough
Aidan, really cool swimming/KB swing WOD in the exercises and demos done by a bunch of SEALs and other mil guys.

--bingo
Old 08-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Six kids died in Louisiana yesterday because they were wading in a supposedly shallow river and didn't know how to swim. Neither did anyone else in their family on shore.

I learned to swim because my parents knew how to swim. In the Deep South, blacks don't know how to swim because their parents don't know how to swim. Their parents don't know how to swim because the whites wouldn't let them anywhere near the swimming pools or even the beaches.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...ssissippi.html

link is work/family safe