CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Morgan McGaha

Profile:
Sumo Deadlift

Are you allowed to sumo deadlift in the xfit olympics or any competitions for that matter? I cant remember ever seeing anyone do them.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: Sumo Deadlift

ignoring that there's no "crossfit olympics," the answer is "maybe."

Per the original definition of the CFT, sumo is not allowed for that workout. To my knowledge no other workout specifies, though many people like to extend their ASSumptions to everything CF.

International powerlifting comps allow sumo and that's good enough for this crossfitter. As far as I'm concerned it's up to the lifter unless stated otherwise (i.e. if I was at a competition and they specified no sumo I wouldn't argue it... the rules are the rules. At home I'll train as I please, CFT included).
Old 07-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Sumo was allowed for the last Games...at least it was for the Masters'.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Thanks. I meant games, not olympics. Long day.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Justin McCallon

Profile:

It wasn't allowed at the Southeast Regionals' affiliate competition or the Georgia Sectionals. This ****ed me off. A lot.

There is no reason not to allow Sumo Deadlifts. It is a legitimate way to lift the weight. If need be, I could finish the lift by moving my feet in and cover the same ROM.

Sumo trains the hips and the legs more and the lower back less. I'm personally much less prone to injury lifting sumo. You do conventional-style movements consistently (Cleans, snatches, squats for most people, kettlebll swings, etc.) in CrossFit. Adding some variety is a good thing. And it's not by any means unathletic. People need to get over that. It builds strength in the hips and legs which are very important in nearly all athletic events.

If some events are going to (stupidly) mandate Conventional Deadlifts, some others should mandate Sumo Deadlifts.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
It wasn't allowed at the Southeast Regionals' affiliate competition or the Georgia Sectionals. This ****ed me off. A lot.

There is no reason not to allow Sumo Deadlifts. It is a legitimate way to lift the weight. If need be, I could finish the lift by moving my feet in and cover the same ROM.

Sumo trains the hips and the legs more and the lower back less. I'm personally much less prone to injury lifting sumo. You do conventional-style movements consistently (Cleans, snatches, squats for most people, kettlebll swings, etc.) in CrossFit. Adding some variety is a good thing. And it's not by any means unathletic. People need to get over that. It builds strength in the hips and legs which are very important in nearly all athletic events.

If some events are going to (stupidly) mandate Conventional Deadlifts, some others should mandate Sumo Deadlifts.
Im with you on that one. Sumo is better for my knees, plus, I can lift about 80 ppounds more with sumo. And its not like doing sumo will give you an advantage over regular. I cant do regular worth crap, and I have friends who cant do sumo worth crap. Look at powerlifting, people do both sumo and regular, just depends on your body type.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Scott Stevens

Profile:

There was a journal vid with Dave Tate coaching Amundson on the DL and basically he guided him into doing DLs sumo style because Tate thought he....wasn't very good? haha.

WFS link http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/07/...-a-la-tate.tpl
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Jim Denofa

Profile:

I always deadlift sumo style when I go heavy. I encourage my members to experiment with the style, most people are more comfortable deadlifting conventional, but some are proportionally more suited for sumo.

The rules for no sumo in the CFT is silly and needs to be changed. Now that CrossFit has been embracing Westside methods I can't see why they would still try to limit people to only deadlifting conventionally. The ridiculous claim that sumo deadlifts are easier because of shorter range of motion by some is without merit, and shows lack of experience in the weightroom.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Justin McCallon

Profile:

One thing I find funny is that I don't think I'm built well for sumo deadlifts, but it's a much better lift for me. I have a strong lower back (I do RDLs 295x8 with good form), my legs/arms are long, and although I'm tall, my torso is proportionally not that big.

But, I definitely lift much better sumo. I spent about 18 months deadlifting only conventional. I got up to 475. Later on, I tried pulling sumo. Set a PR at 512. A couple months later, and last week I pulled 518 + a blue band (about 585 at the top). I don't know what it is, but sumo really works well for me.

But the point is that it's a bit unfair to say to the people that happen to deadlift better sumo that you are going to disadvantage them by mandating everyone pulls conventional. You never see it the other way around.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:31 AM   #10
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

even if sumo is easier than conventional, that should be the best reason to allow it...