CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #41
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Something that made me a little nuts at the Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
Not directed at anyone. However I guarantee you that if any of you were competeing at the games, and utilzing the bounce made the difference between you placing first or 2nd you would utilize the bounce and not post about how it annoys you. Do you have to comepete to have an opinon absolutely not but I think that the value of the bounce and your opinion on it would change drastically if it meant the difference in competition. I mean do you really think that Graham feels like he doesnt deserve first place because he bounced the weight? Or for that matter the people who started wearing gloves when their hands ripped could be considered an advantage yet, I dont think any of the people who used gloves ended up on the podium. If you want to talk about something that annoys you how about not having mats underneath the ropes for the final WOD now that was annoying to me. But I am sure that there will be some purist saying well there arent mats in real life, ok fine point taken but still.
Actually, what bothered me, the person who started the thread, was the fact the athletes were NOT taking advantage of the fact they could use the rebound. Some of them, especially the women, were dropping the barbell after the pull each and every rep which is terribly inefficient and cost them.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #42
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Fair enough but it turned into a stricter standards talk. Plus the only good constructive idea that came out of it was metal plates instead of bumpers. Whatever the case I can not expect an internet forum post to lead to a constructive or well thought out discussion but wanted to express my opinion like the rest of the people who can not sleep at 3 am. So I guess my comment is directed towards people who are screaming about fixing standards. I say if the judging and the comp is letting you get away with something small like the bounce exploit the hell out of it. And unless you have competed your opinon is skewed not flawed or wrong or unacceptable.

Last edited by Michael R. Miller : 08-02-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #43
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
I say if the judging and the comp is letting you get away with something small like the bounce exploit the hell out of it.
I agree.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #44
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"I say if the judging and the comp is letting you get away with something small like the bounce exploit the hell out of it"

There is a difference between an athlete maximizing performance within the rule set (good) and the rule set being crappy (bad). Both can happen at the same time.

See "powerlifting squatting standards"
Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #45
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"If we wanna be functional here, how many times in real life (not weight lifting here) can you pick up a heavy object off the ground and then later just send it crashing to the floor?"

WHich is fine if you are practicing moving your buddy. I'm not, I'm trying to get as strong as possible. The negative on heavy deadlifts causes more stress than I can recover from is a reasonable amount of time, therefore, i don't do them. I can still pick up and put down my 230 lb tv without too much hassle. Why is that, even though I don't put my deadlifts down? Because

" I'm trying to get as strong as possible"
You must have a big tv
Old 08-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #46
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

It's a 32 inch flat screen CRT. Freaking huge magnets. My buddy had a sony trinitron 36 inch. It was 300. Sucked moving that one.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #47
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth Challoner View Post
You must have a big tv
In my kids play room, I still have the first Sony HD 16:9 ratio set from back in the 90s still; it weighs well over 300 pounds even though it's only a 30" set. It's all relative.

Last edited by John Stone : 08-06-2010 at 11:50 AM.