CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: How to properly hydrate for an early AM WOD

Why oh why would you think you are dehydrated when you wake up in the morning? Why would you think you have to do something special to hydrate for your CrossFit workout?

Why does everyone think they are continuously dehydrated?

So much b.s. in the fitness world...
Old 11-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #12
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
You know that everything you put in your stomach changes the pH of it, right?
Yea, obvious, thats why "ideal" pH is 1-5 to 3.5. No "real food" (paleo style food, on which we evolved around, not some mass production food) will make it higher, if person is healthy.

For example, peptine needs pH of ~2.0, so everything above that will not digest protein called casein! And not properly digested food can cause gas, burping, bloating...
Old 11-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Yea, obvious, thats why "ideal" pH is 1-5 to 3.5. No "real food" (paleo style food, on which we evolved around, not some mass production food) will make it higher, if person is healthy.

For example, peptine needs pH of ~2.0, so everything above that will not digest protein called casein! And not properly digested food can cause gas, burping, bloating...
This seems like overthinking yet again. Some things just arent worth trying to actively control because theres just no reliable way to do it. Not to mention that digestion is a longer than half hour process, so what happens when you drink that water half an hour after a meal? It still goes to your stomach and reacts with stomach acid. You feel free to continue trying to tune your stomach's pH, and the rest of us can go live with less stress having one less thing to worry about...
Old 11-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I put a lot of food in one end. I drink a lot of water. Stuff still comes out the other end. I feel like everything is still working the way it's supposed to?
Old 11-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:

Dare, show me a real study which demonstrates any significant absorption difference.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

I am no professional when it comes to knowing a whole lot about science stuff. What I understand is that if you want to be hydrated in the morning you must have hydrated the day before properly. And like everyone else I just eat a drink water. If I am going to do a longer workout (ie over an hour) I will consume water and assure I have some type of food on hand during the workout to maintain energy and stay hydrated. The only time I worry about the Ph is when I check the levels in my pool. So far this has worked fine for the past 35 years of my life so I must be doing something right.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Dare, show me a real study which demonstrates any significant absorption difference.
Sorry Chris, dont have any links available and lack of time to search for it. Maybe Darryl does?

All I have is a couple of information, such as water raises ph to >4.0 and peptin needs ph ~2.0 to work. Since its not such a big deal to not drink water while eating I will just continue not to do so. Not that im stressed about it, as others have suggested, I just dont see it as a problem.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #18
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Sorry Chris, dont have any links available and lack of time to search for it. Maybe Darryl does?

All I have is a couple of information, such as water raises ph to >4.0 and peptin needs ph ~2.0 to work. Since its not such a big deal to not drink water while eating I will just continue not to do so. Not that im stressed about it, as others have suggested, I just dont see it as a problem.
So, what if your stomach acid naturally runs in the high range? Say, around 3? Does your body just not "work" on peptin at all?

And how about the time when you drink the water half hour after eating, but your body is still digesting whatever protein? Does that not raise the pH of the stomach?

See, when you take all these little things and put definitive actionables to them without considering the entire body as a system, you end up doing these things that have little to no effect on anything in a practical sense.

When I say you worry too much, that's probably putting it too strongly, but my point is it's not even worth considering some things because the benefit is negligible to nonexistant.

People have been drinking beverages during meals since time immemorial, you haven't unlocked some secret method.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Wink Re: How to properly hydrate for an early AM WOD

I'll at least share what I have done, which changed a little lately.

For my first couple of months, I was simply doing coffee, with: creatine, beta alanine, leucine, glutamine, MCT oil, either half and half or light coconut milk and just a little Truvia to sweeten it a bit. FYI, I follow somewhat of a back-load approach, where I try to focus what carbs I do eat, late the night before a WOD. Intra workout was just water, and post-workout was an overripe banana and more water.

Lately, I'm trying something a little different: still coffee before, but with just the beta alanine and creatine. Intra/Post workout drink is a mix of Glycofuse, a little whey protein powder, and the leucine and glutamine.

My class is at 5:30am, and I'm usually taking in my pre-workout at 5:15am. I do try to have a good bit of water throughout the evening before, but I agree with the previous poster, that hydration isn't something you can do all of a sudden. If you WOD that early, I think your focus needs to be more about a good process of hydration the day/evening before.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #20
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Unless we're talking about early AM long-azz Hero-ish WODs, methinks this is much ado about (practically) nothing.

- Mark