CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Robert Blanzy

Profile:
Which book on the paleo diet goes into the most details?

I am looking for a paleo book that gets into the biochemistry of nutrition and how it impacts the body. I have read a few books that write about why some foods have different impact, but not enough scientific data.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Which book on the paleo diet goes into the most details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Blanzy View Post
I am looking for a paleo book that gets into the biochemistry of nutrition and how it impacts the body. I have read a few books that write about why some foods have different impact, but not enough scientific data.
The only Paleo diet book I'd recommend at present is 'Deadly Harvest' by Geoff Bond. However, I wouldn't recommend this or any other fad diet book, paleo or otherwise, if you want to learn about nutrition and physiology. Instead I'd recommend something like 'Essentials of Human Nutrition' by Jim Mann and Stewart Truswell which is an excellent introductory text, or Human Nutrition, 2Ed: A Health Perspective* by Mary Barasi, which contains essentially the same material as 'Essentials of Human Nutrition' albeit in a very dry academic style which makes it quite hard going if you're new to the subject.

* Please note: an updated third edition of Barasi's book is due out next year - link.

*All links wfs*
Old 09-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Loren Cordain, the CSU professor who has done the most work on the subject and is essential the founder of the diet, has written multiple books. I'd start with the latest edition of The Paleo Diet and then branch out from there.

Here is a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Diet-Rev...the+paleo+diet

Note that Cordain credits an Emory University professor as being the first to do research on the subject and champion it as an area worth research, and that many academics are now doing relevant research, but Cordain is without a doubt the original authority on the benefits of eating paleo.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Chad Ashton

Profile:

The Paleo Diet for Athletes is another good one...also by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel. I also have and read The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. It's not bad and certainly a good entertaining read. I also enjoy his talks on youtube and other podcasts. He's a great speaker with a good sense of humor.

Links are wfs.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

There may not be 1 book that covers both Paleo and the biochemistry you are looking to learn.

Certainly The Paleo Solution is a good starting point. Then you would want to look into food allergies, food and hormones and how the interact. Also energy pathways for athletic performance though much of this information seems to be incorrect.

The old must have high carb to be an athlete and perform well just isn't true. Some carbs yes, a lots of carbs not necessary and maybe not the best way to go.

Also remember there is significant difference person to person on what works best for high level athletic performance.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Dominic Parker

Profile:

Chris Kresser's Personal Paleo Code probably goes into as much depth as the run of the mill data junkie might want. Robb Wolf's book is still the best overall IMHO.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Andrea Timm

Profile:

If you looking for info regarding the relationship between Crossfit and Paleo, Spam in the Can, defines that very well. I have had great results with it and love to share the information every chance I can. I hope you find it helpful as well.
SPAMSPAMSPAM