CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Victor Sellers

Profile:
I want to cut body fat!

hello, i am 2 months new to Cross Fit, but have always been a gym person. i am 37yrs old, and wanting to cut BF. since starting CF i have gained a TON of strength, and of course the other part of that is weight. i kmow i need to cut some body fat, but i dont want to lose any strength progress.
I am currently doing the intermitant fasting, and carb back loading. I fast for about 12-14hrs, only having a protien shake and 2TBS of Peanut Butter pre workout, workout is around 11:30am 5 days a week, and start eating protein and green veggies around the 14 hour mark, at 6pm i start eating carbs for about 2-3 hrs, then bed and hour later. My question is, am i on the right track, this method is completely opposite of what i have always believed, but i want to give it a fair shot. I have been doing this for alomost 2 weeks now.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: I want to cut body fat!

Track your calories for one week and weigh yourself. If you gained weight or stayed the same then drop your calories. If you lost weight you can stay at your current calorie intake or you can increase/decrease if you lost too much/didn't move the needle much.

Use something like myfitnesspal, it makes tracking calories incredibly easy and if you do not have a kitchen scale I would recommend one as it makes tracking even easier.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
Victor Sellers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Track your calories for one week and weigh yourself. If you gained weight or stayed the same then drop your calories. If you lost weight you can stay at your current calorie intake or you can increase/decrease if you lost too much/didn't move the needle much.

Use something like myfitnesspal, it makes tracking calories incredibly easy and if you do not have a kitchen scale I would recommend one as it makes tracking even easier.
BUT IS THE FASTING/CARB LOADING A METHOD I SHOULD USE?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Sellers View Post
It's not the first thing I would recommend to someone. A more balanced eating schedule is usually easier to sustain for a long period, which is what you're looking for in a long term diet.

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 02-20-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
I doubt either is going to make a significant difference, if you like those methods and feel like you have good energy levels on them then go for it. It won't change the fact that you need a calorie deficit to lose weight.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Victor Sellers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Relax, bud.

It's not the first thing I would recommend to someone. A more balanced eating schedule is usually easier to sustain for a long period, which is what you're looking for in a long term diet.
I have years of exerience dieting for BB comps, but have never had to diet for performance. I know how to lose body fat and weight, but i dont want to lose my strength gains, if i cut my calories way back i will lose my stregth gains i have made hte last 2months.
I jumped from 375 DL to 445 in two months, and 315 back squat to 385.

i complete my WODs respectfully daily and i want to continue that.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:46 AM   #7
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
I have years of exerience dieting for BB comps, but have never had to diet for performance.
Why do we always say i have been dieting??

Shouldn't this be a lifestyle of eating good food and well balanced.

BB dieting was for a short period (12-16 weeks) of time and then you put the fat back on after the comp is over... this time you want to keep it off, plus you get really grumpy on a BB diet.. i know as i have been there and done it.

I expect back in the day of BB you knew what to eat and when to eat it and you ate for a reason and this is what applies to you today but a little different. You would have eaten 6-8 smaller meals a day too to bulk up and rip up.

If you look at what you eat today, do you eat allot or a little of the uneccesary food snacks, chips, soft drinks and so on (things that contain allot of salt and sugar). I bet if you cut these out you will start to loose the fat without even having to try but still eat a normal well balanced diet.

Drink water instead of all types of drinks, beers, soft drinks, milkshakes... as we all know that it is easy to drink the calories and this is what you want to keep away from. But after time you can have them in moderation.

Plus rather than eating because it is lunch time or super time, eat when you start to get hungry... in this way you will know what you ate earlier is almost used up and now it is time to fill up. This is a great method to balance things out.

So that was my 5 on the subject

Last edited by Alex Burden : 02-21-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post

I don't 100% agree with this approach. OP wanted to cut fat, not weight. This can often be two different things. N=1, I lost 5% body fat over 6 weeks, without loosing weight.

What I do agree with is that you should track your calories/macros over a week +, but measure your progress by measuring body fat. I would avoid scales or hand held devices that measure via bioelectrical impediance, and find someone who is skilled at measuring body composition via calipers. What ever method you choose to do, just make sure you are consistant in who measures you, and what time you get measured. It is also important to remember that most of these methods come with a degree of inaccuracy. But as long as you stay consistant in the method you choose and how you do it, you can measure progress in any one direction over time.

I cannot tell you what kind of diet you should do, as everyone responds differently. But if any consoltation, see great results with carb cycling. 6 days low carb, high protein, mod fat. One day of same level of protein and fats with 2g per pound of body weight of carbs. I get hugh weight gains that one day a week, but my fat % always decreases week over week.

Try what you want, but know you may have to tweak any one cutting diet to meet your needs.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
Michael Jones Jr

Profile:

I wouldn't recommend fasting as much as an overall healthy diet plan, but if you are looking to suppress appetite while cutting fat I would recommend virgin coconut oil.

It's been shown to boost metabolism, balance blood sugar and promote ketosis (all big steps in fat burning/weight loss). Coconut Oil also supports muscle mass by acting as a prebiotic, coating the digestive system allowing your muscles to receive the nutrients they need post workout.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Todd Neal

Profile:

I've been able to cut body fat by getting rid of as much sugar and processed carbs as I can from my diet--essentially a ketosis diet. I know that there are a lot of different thoughts on whether or not it's actually healthy and the processes through which it causes fat loss, but it's been the only thing that's worked for me. I haven't noticed a decrease in performance (after an adaptation period of a couple weeks) but I wasn't top-level to begin with. If nothing else seems to work, you might look into it.