CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
De Wet Neethling

Profile:
Am I eating enough?

Hi boys and girls

I have been working out for almost a year now. I have seen some nice gains- I lost fat and my muscles are more visible now. Not to mention the strength that I have gained. I was able to do 40 push ups the other day in one go. booya! I have been eating a strict diet, but I have been going nowhere slowly for the past 4 months or so. My belly is not losing fat and I am not building muscle. I wonder if it has something to do with my diet, so I was hoping I could get some ideas on how I can improve on this. I eat the same everyday because it contains good nutrition and also because its delicious.

Breakfast:
45g Granola and 80g plain yoghurt

Snack: handful of almonds

Lunch: cooked with olive oil.
200g meat (chicken or pork fillet (no fat))
200g carrots
200g sweet potato

Snack: sometimes I eat some more almonds, but mostly I dont snack here.

Supper (I eat before my workout): same as lunch. I do vary between brown rice and sweet potato here though and sometimes i have both sweet potato and brown rice.

Supplement: After my workout I drink a shake consisting of protein, whole milk, 60g sweet potato and some honey- all blended together. its amazing.

I just ordered creatine, so I will start loading next week for the first time.

During the day I might have one cup of coffee with sugar during the winter.

Id really appreciate some feedback, people! I am 27, 511 and weigh 194lbs (1.8m and 88kg).

I really try to eat a lot of good, clean carbs. 50/30/20 is the ratio I strive for.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Am I eating enough?

Probably not eating enough. Doesn't look like you're getting enough protein either, but I may be wrong without running numbers.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Your maintenance calories are upwards of 3000. I can promise you that what you're at currently isn't enough. You're gonna have to eat if you want to put on mass!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
De Wet Neethling

Profile:

thanks for sharing your thoughts! You have confirmed my suspicion. But now comes the hard questions: what kind of food should I eat more of? Carbs? Protein? At the moment I get about 100-120g protein and 150-200g carbs daily.

Would I gain fat if I start to eat more? Is there a supplement that I can take instead of eating more? Like a mass builder, wazy maize or something? My job won't enable me to eat all the time. At the moment my goal is to lose fat and I almost just as badly want to build muscle.

At this stage, it would be good enough for me to be able to cut fat and to maintain muscle.

My body fat% is at about 16, most of which sits on my muffin tops and belly.

thanks again.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Well you can't optimally burn fat and put on muscle mass at the same time, so you're going to have to pick. If I was in your position, I would drop about 6% BF and then go at a surplus

As far as the calories? Try and hit around .9 - 1.0 g protein / lb of body weight, keep fat between 20-30% of total intake, and fill the rest with carbs.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
De Wet Neethling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
Well you can't optimally burn fat and put on muscle mass at the same time, so you're going to have to pick. If I was in your position, I would drop about 6% BF and then go at a surplus

As far as the calories? Try and hit around .9 - 1.0 g protein / lb of body weight, keep fat between 20-30% of total intake, and fill the rest with carbs.

Would I need to change my diet if I wanted to drop BF? I would imagine that dropping BF would also depend heavily on my training regime. I just started with a strength training regime- lifting heavy (5x5) about 4 times a week. Should I continue on this course?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Weight gain / loss is just a matter of being in a caloric surplus or deficit. If you're burning more than you're taking in, you'll lose weight. The goal in a cut though is to maintain as much muscle mass as possible, meaning you'll want to make small, gradual reductions.

5x5 is a solid strength program.