CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Chris Tan

Profile:
Knee Sleeve Advice

Hi guys,

I want to start oly lifting / squatting heavy on a much more regular basis than I have been doing in the past. I experienced a bit of soreness in my knees last time I did the Hatch cycle and I'm looking to buy some sleeves. I know the pros tend to use the Rehband Blues (7mm) and I've also heard good things about The rocktape sleeves. However, I've also seen some single & double ply sleeves at the Strength Shop that look pretty decent.

I don't really know enough about this topic to make an informed decision and I don't know whether to choose neoprene or cotton etc. I just want a decent pair of sleeves that I can use to train with and in competitions (I have some triple ply that I think are illegal?).

If anybody provide any guidance / recommendations it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Knee Sleeve Advice

You will probably get a host of answers on this, but I'll just chime in that I got a pair of the Rehband 7mm blues for Christmas and love them. I don't have experience with any others though and so can't comment as to how the Rehbands compare.

- Mark
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Paul Glezer

Profile:

I had some patella tendonitis for a while and went with the 7mm rehbands. I tried a buddies 5mm as well. I am very happy with them and fully understand why they are the standard.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I have both versions of Rehbands and like them both. Somtimes I wear run of the mill Harbinger wraps I got at Big 5 if I am going really heavy and want to wrap em really tight. Somtimes I wear ACE bandages. Somtimes nothing. Mostly, I wear the blue Rehbands.

Since you would likely ask about sizing in Rehbands, I am 5'10 185 pounds, muscular I guess and I wear size small.

Knowing what I know, If had had nothing and needed to purchase sleeves, I'd probly get the Rocktape in 7mm based on price.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I have the blue rehbands. They are part of my "super suit". I wear them and my belt most of the time when lifting (squatting). I had sore knees for a while. It was from pushing my knees out too much while squatting.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Brian Sadowski

Profile:

I have the 5mm rehbands and they do the job well. I was having knee pain early on and found voodoo flossing to be very helpful. I am just coming back into my strength gains and look to squat over 400 like I did in my early 20's back then I used inzer powerlifting wraps those things were just awesome but not conducive to WODS only for squatting only.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Scott Ohlms

Profile:

My advice would be the thicker original blue Rehbands. There's a reason why so many upper level and elite lifters use them.

Measure your size according to their standards, go one size down if you want a very tight competition-style fit, and don't hesitate to drop the money on them. They're WELL worth it and will last a long time if taken care of properly. For reference, I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs with a narrow bone structure and I wear the S(mall) size.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Snir Golan

Profile:

i bought a pair of the grey Rehbands and liked them a lot until one of them completely tore apart for no reason about a month after i bought it (no worries, Rogue Fitness toke care of me immediately and got me a new sleeve). then while waiting for the new sleeve to come, i bought a pair of the Rock Tape ones (they were on sale) and let me tell you, i can't tell a difference between them and the grey Rehbands so if i had to do it again, i would just save some money and go with the Rock Tape.

oh i also have a pair of the TK sleeves but i hate them with passion. way way too hard to put on and take off and i hate how much i sweat with them.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
William Garrett

Profile:

Had they grey rhebands, and was not impressed. Gave those to my wife, and upgraded to the Blue Rhebands. Hands down way better of a sleeve. Wife has also got the blue ones now after trying mine.....

I wear them for lifting, running, wods etc 4-6 days a week with no issues. I also wear them occasionally under my kneepads when Downhilling on long days in the park. My knees always feel fresh like no other at the end of the day.

I highly suggest the blue rhebands if your looking for a good sleeve.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #10
Chris Jones

Profile:

i have the grey rehbands and love them like everybody else. Ive never tried the thicker ones, and at my current strength level () i dont really need the thicker ones either. I wear mine several times a week for squats, or WODs that involve squatting or wallballs. For reference at 6' 200#s i wear the mediums and they are snug but not "competition tight" like some people prefer.