CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Brett Emil

Profile:
Back Squat Form Check

Hello Crossfit Community,

I could use some help on my form, and I would appreciate all comments! I am following a SS cycle with a High Bar Squat. This is #175 squat weight at #140 body weight. This is about #15 below my next SS Squat workout weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjDxStnvfds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XPJsh1vW3I

Here are some issues that I can see:

1. Back Tightness - Is it tight at the bottom of the squat? I notice my hips dip inward at the very bottom. This is has been described as due to hamstring tightness, and its an issue I am working with.

2. Bar Position on Back - Is this too high even for a High Bar/Olympic Position?

3. Depth - Do I have the right depth? I have been told that I am going too deep and bouncing at the bottom. What are your opinions on this critique?

4. Bar Path - Am I staying over my mid foot?

5. Neck/Chest - Am I keep my chest high? Is my neck in the correct position? I have been told that I need to bring my chest higher and look forward, not down. What are your opinions on this critique?

Thanks everyone!

Brett Emil
Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
John Kolody II

Profile:
Re: Back Squat Form Check

Overall I think it is a great squat.

1. Back Tightness: Yes you are losing some of your lower back arch at the bottom. Work on this with some hyperextensions, etc.

2 Bar position: I squat low bar, wide stance, powerlifting style so no comment but if you are confortable doing what you do than fine.

3. Depth: More people should squat that deep. your hips are lower than your knees, you look to be 2-3 inches below parallel.

4. Bar Path: Looks fine, its not all over the place

5. Chest/ Neck: You seem focused on a fixed point and that is good for squating. Look slightly down, straight, slightly up, whatever, just don't strain way up to look at the ceiling. Pull the shoulder blades together, stay tight, you will be surprised how that will also help your lower back arch.

John
Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Emil View Post
Hello Crossfit Community,

I could use some help on my form, and I would appreciate all comments! I am following a SS cycle with a High Bar Squat. This is #175 squat weight at #140 body weight. This is about #15 below my next SS Squat workout weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjDxStnvfds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XPJsh1vW3I

Here are some issues that I can see:

1. Back Tightness - Is it tight at the bottom of the squat? I notice my hips dip inward at the very bottom. This is has been described as due to hamstring tightness, and its an issue I am working with.

2. Bar Position on Back - Is this too high even for a High Bar/Olympic Position?

3. Depth - Do I have the right depth? I have been told that I am going too deep and bouncing at the bottom. What are your opinions on this critique?

4. Bar Path - Am I staying over my mid foot?

5. Neck/Chest - Am I keep my chest high? Is my neck in the correct position? I have been told that I need to bring my chest higher and look forward, not down. What are your opinions on this critique?

Thanks everyone!

Brett Emil
You could come to Motor City CrossFit and have them look at your form! They have awesome trainers!! ;-)

Last edited by Jason David : 05-22-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Two questions:

1) why are you using the high bar position?

2) please tell me you are GOMADing?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
Brett Emil

Profile:

Thanks for the comments on the video John, I appreciate the help! I will work on the lower-back tightness. Please keep the help coming for these video's!

1. I am not interested in an affiliate at this time in my financial situation. I am sure that you and the other trainers at Motor City Crossfit are great, but its not for me at this time. Thanks though!

2. I have looked thoroughly into all of the Everett/Rippetoe articles and discussion on the debate between Low-Bar and High-Bar. I cannot find a comfortable low-bar position that does not hurt my elbows and spine, especially as I increase the weight. I feel a direct pressure and pain on my spine. I have read the posts on this issue, but to no use. I know I can solve these problems with a Crossfit trainer/affiliate or Level 1 Cert, but I cannot afford either. So I use High-Bar for now.

3. I am not GOMADing, but I do drink about two glasses of milk a day. I don't have a huge desire to gain weight, so I don't really want to GOMAD. (Rip - "I recommend that IF YOU NEED TO GAIN WEIGHT, you do the GOMAD thing. I have NEVER recommended it for everybody. NEVER, EVER have I said that everybody needs GOMAD to do a linear strength progression.") I honestly don't feel the need to gain weight with GOMAD, even though I understand it will help my lifting. I am totally comfortable with getting strong at my current weight. I eat about 2,500 - 3,000 calories per day.

Thank you guys for the help and questions! They are raising some issues that I had to reaffirm my views.

Brett
Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

There are things to work on, like maintaining tightness and less lower back rounding in the hole, but it looks good to me!
Old 05-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
Brett Emil

Profile:

Thanks for the helpful comments Boris, and hearing your approval gives me some confidence in my form. I absolutely love the Squat video's you have made. I downloaded them all, just to make sure I never lose them!

One issue that I am concerned about is my stance width. Am I taking a too wide stance for a High Bar position?

I appreciate the help everyone is giving, this is great community!
Old 05-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the comments on the video John, I appreciate the help! I will work on the lower-back tightness. Please keep the help coming for these video's!

1. I am not interested in an affiliate at this time in my financial situation. I am sure that you and the other trainers at Motor City Crossfit are great, but its not for me at this time. Thanks though!

2. I have looked thoroughly into all of the Everett/Rippetoe articles and discussion on the debate between Low-Bar and High-Bar. I cannot find a comfortable low-bar position that does not hurt my elbows and spine, especially as I increase the weight. I feel a direct pressure and pain on my spine. I have read the posts on this issue, but to no use. I know I can solve these problems with a Crossfit trainer/affiliate or Level 1 Cert, but I cannot afford either. So I use High-Bar for now.

3. I am not GOMADing, but I do drink about two glasses of milk a day. I don't have a huge desire to gain weight, so I don't really want to GOMAD. (Rip - "I recommend that IF YOU NEED TO GAIN WEIGHT, you do the GOMAD thing. I have NEVER recommended it for everybody. NEVER, EVER have I said that everybody needs GOMAD to do a linear strength progression.") I honestly don't feel the need to gain weight with GOMAD, even though I understand it will help my lifting. I am totally comfortable with getting strong at my current weight. I eat about 2,500 - 3,000 calories per day.

Thank you guys for the help and questions! They are raising some issues that I had to reaffirm my views.

Brett
your first visit is free. given your situation I would be happy to just go over your backsquat for an hour and count that as your 'free assesment'.

its up to you.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
I would take Jason up on his offer! The only major problem I would have with it is that you are low bar back squatting with a high bar position. This puts excessive torque on your lower back and can lead to problems down the road... If you put the bar in a low bar position you would have a pretty solid squat though, which is why working with someone that can help you find it could be very beneficial. Otherwise if you are going to continue with high bar back squats you need to change things up a bit.

And as to your weight, I am not sure how tall you are, but based off of just how skinny you look in the video I can say with a large degree of certainty that if you gained 30-40 pounds your athletic preformance would improve across the board. Easily. So it is something to consider
Old 05-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

I don't know if I completely agree w. the assessment "you're low bar back squatting w. a high bar position" - but it's a good point from which you could seek to improve things.

Squat Rx #21 ("Sit Back" - wfs): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlpLj5MlN5M