CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
Cal Jones

Profile:
I must admit *cough cough* that my interest in how the 300 guys trained actually brought me to this forum. But then I didn't just read one article and take it as gospel - I followed various links and discussions and eventually wound up here.
I've done Crossfit-style workouts of my own devising before (I've been exercising for 20 years and am a great experimenter), but I'd never got quite the results I'd wanted. Recently I was doing more Mentzer-style HIT training and that worked a lot better for me than the traditional three sets per exercise with rests.

Anyway, point is, I'm sure if I found this place after Googling "Gerard Butler's abs" (hey I'm a girl - I'm allowed!), other people will. And that's a good thing, right? :biggrinthumb:
Old 04-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #12
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Jodi and I both tried this workout awhile ago because we were getting a lot of questions once people made the connection between the movie and CF ...

It was not nearly as "hardcore" as the hype suggested, but it was okay. I paced myself, doubtful my heart rate went above 165, and I was still sub 15 min.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to WODs...
Old 04-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
Martin Schap

Profile:
I read that article in MH. IMO it made Twight sound like a f***tard. He had the actors jump right in to workouts they were in no way ready to do and many of them were overtrained by the end. The actor who played King Leonidas quit working out for like 6 months after shooting the movie because Twight completely wrecked his motivation to train. Also, that guy did bodybuilding during the final phase of training because Twight didn't get him jacked enough.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #15
James Falkner

Profile:
If the actors couldn't take it they shouldn't be in hollywood! I've seen them go from grossly overweight to morbidly thin in a few months just for the movies. That can't be good for you. So don't blame Twight, he just did as he was paid to do :-)
Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #16
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Regarding Hollywood and body changes, I don't think it gets more extreme than Christian Bale. From "Batman Begins" to "The Machinist," or maybe the other way around. Insane.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:20 PM   #17
Cal Jones

Profile:
Yeah, it was the other way around. He also lived on tuna and lettuce for ages to play Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. Can't doubt his dedication.

Re: the 300 guys, don't forget that, on top of Twight's workouts, they were doing hours of weapons training - little wonder Gerard Butler burned out. I've done the same pushing myself too hard (although I've never taken 8 months off!)
Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #18
James Falkner

Profile:
So I did the 300 workout today, as Rx'ed in about 20 minutes. It was actually easier than I thought it was gonna be, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Unfortunately, I still don't look like those guys ;-)

I thought the DB clean/presses were the most painful in terms of metcon. And it was hard to get the 135 lb bar up from the floor, while laying on the floor. It wasn't a simple bench press if that's what you're thinking :-)

Agree re: Christian Bale.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:40 AM   #19
Cal Jones

Profile:
Good score. Not one I'm even going to attempt yet as I am lousy at pull-ups, and the box jumps are a no because of my poor old knees.

I do do the wipers though - I did some after Helen today, with a 30kg bar (20 reps per side) and they are very effective. I like that holding the bar up there gives my puny wrists a workout at the same time. :-)
Old 04-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #20
Chris Thiele

Profile:
"...'300' is just a forum hot button..."

A better way to look at it is that "300" is exposure. I didn't even like the film, but the workout was mentioned in another forum I frequent, which led me to a Google search, which led me here. It looks like I'm not alone.

I think CrossFit is the program I've been looking for all my life, not only for the exercise and diet concepts, but the online community that supports it as well as one another. Anything that brings that to a wider audience is good, fad or not.