CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Ron Thurston

Profile:
Thumbs up My CrossFit Experience so far

I figured I'd throw my story up here as an introduction on the forums and maybe someone who is on the fence about jumping into CrossFit will be inspired to go for it.

For starters, let me describe my normal routine prior to CrossFit. I have always been "active". I was involved in Martial Arts since I was young (GoJu Ryu, Aikido and Krav Maga recently). I grew up playing sports (mainly baseball as a catcher and soccer as a goalie) which carried over into HS and beyond. I was a catcher from the time I was 6 all the way up through HS. I was a goalie in soccer for both outdoor and indoor teams. I played indoor up until the time I was in my late 20's. I started playing slow pitch softball when I was 18 and I still play to this day (I'm now 37).

I am a mechanical engineer by trade so I do a whole lot of sitting around in an office. I was also a pretty avid online gamer which put me in front of a computer for hours on end at night. I have 5 children (ages 15 to 5) who are all very active in sports. We have practice for something 5 nights a week just about all year. I am married to a wonderful woman who works at night (6pm to 6am) so 3-4 days out of the week, all the transportation is my task.

Now that all the background info is done, let's get into some stats prior to starting Crossfit in September.

Height: 6'-0"
Weight: 298 lbs

My diet at the time was maybe one big meal a day (dinner). I would sometimes grab something from Dunkin' Donuts' before work and maybe something from Wawa for lunch if I felt like driving. Most of the time I was just too lazy to go out.

One day I just decided that enough was enough and I wanted to get back in shape. We got a hold of P90X and worked on it semi-successfully for two months. I made some pretty good strength gains but I wasn't dropping weight all that fast. My diet was still crap and, eventually, just the wife and I working out got boring.

I decided to get back into Martial Arts so I found myself a local Krav Maga school and joined up. At that time my wife had brought one of my sons to a local gym (our current box) as they were doing a small kids thing and one of her friends was going. After talking to one of the owners, she realized that she went to school with her younger sister and she convinced my wife to give it a shot. At the time my wife was pushing 280 pounds and had just gotten off chemotherapy for Breast Cancer and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

After about a month, I suffered a pretty nasty injury to my oblique at Krav Class. Since I was out of commission, I went to watch this new thing she had been talking about. One day I jumped in on a class to try it out and was hooked from that day. Myself, my wife and my 15 year old daughter all participate in CrossFit now and love it.

My progress has been phenomenal. In 5 months, I am down to 232 lbs and doing all kinds of things I never thought I could, or would do. At the beginning, it was hell. I was modifying everything. As I dropped weight and started gaining some endurance, the scales got smaller and I started hitting Rx on many of the exercises. Today, I am doing the advanced Rx (which is generally 20 or so lbs heavier than the Rx for many exercises) and my endurance and overall fitness has been through the roof.

The main contributor to this was my diet. We were turned on to the Paleo Diet from our trainers at CrossFit 1Force. Once we got the idea of how it worked, we gutted our house of pretty much everything non-Paleo and jumped in with both feet. My wife and I have lost well over 120 lbs combined in 5 months. I have dropped from a 44" waist to a 32" waist. The kids eat mostly Paleo although they are already in great shape from their sports.

I am so impressed with this exercise regimen that we have brought many friends into the box with us. We constantly talk about, and probably annoy people with all the talk of how good CrossFit is.

I am going for my USAW Certification in February and my Level 1 Crossfit Certification later this year. My goal isn't necessarily to be a trainer (well, maybe just for my kids) but to have a more in depth knowledge of everything CrossFit related.

If you think you are too "out of shape" for CrossFit, you aren't. You have to start somewhere. You won't find a better program with more accepting and encouraging people, than you will at a CrossFit box. Our box actually offers the first two weeks free (Our box's website: www.crossfit1force.com (worksafe)) and the trainers do all of our custom programming. We warm up, do a strength portion, then the WoD.

It has completely changed my wife's' as well as my life. I look forward to many years of involvement with CrossFit and the community they have built. Yikes, that got longer than I thought!

Last edited by Ron Thurston; 01-18-2012 at 07:01 AM..