CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
After injuring my back again a second time I believe one of the issues are my tight hamstrings. I'd like to know what are some of the flexibility exercises I can do... I have some but I want to make sure they target the hams directly.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Mainly you need to stretch regularly. Working a pike stretch making sure to keep your lower back straight. Do this with both pointed and flexed toes. Sit in a straddle and stretch over each leg independantly. Sit in passe (legs in a figure 4, right foot against left knee and vice versa) and stretch forward. Kneeling pike stretch.

http://www.drillsandskills.com/stretching/Pike

Old 10-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
use a foam roller too....you can find them for like $15 at performbetter.com
Old 10-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Rob McBee

Profile:
OHS practice + Sampson Stretch
Old 10-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Alright, so the exercises I used to do as a gymnast will suffice... thanks!!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
Matthew Swift

Profile:
Frank, unusually tight hamstrings can often be an indicator that your back injury/issue has not been resolved. I once thought I had pulled a hamstring playing touch, went to a sports physio who spent the whole time mobilising my lumber and thorasic spine and teaching me to properly engage my abdominal stabilisers (transversus abdominus or "TA"). Once my back was working and TA firing, my hamstring "pull" disappeared (after a single treatment), as did the associated hamstring tightness. After this I did some research which convinced me that many hamstring issues are actually referred from back issues. I now look for back problems if ever I have a client complain about tight hamstrings. May be worth visiting a good sports physio and getting your back assessed/treated?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:58 AM   #7
Adrian Cradock

Profile:
Hi Frank
in addition to what others said often tight hamstrings is coupled with weak gluets or gluts that are not firing properly it depends where ur hamstrings are most stiff. plenty of stretching ideally after some form of exericse to get blood flowing for few mins
adrian
Old 10-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Matt makes an excellent point, I remember that from Paul Chek seminars on pelvic stabilization and hamstring/back injuries. Basically if you can not stabilize your pelvis especially for people running it is twisting your spine with immense pressure and causing stress on hamstrings that can lead to tears, injury.

TVA strength is essential in pelvic stability.....going back to the basics. You can pick up any of Paul Chek's books (Eat, Move and Be Healthy is his latest) and they will give more detail on all the exercises you should be doing.