CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Christopher Day

Profile:
A powerful left leg kick

I'm about 2 months into training muay thai approximately twice a week. I stand conventional stance with left foot forward and I suspect like most when they are beginning, my left kicks lag well behind my right in terms of both power and speed.

I am looking for some mental cues or coaching points to help me get my hips through as fast as possible to develop some power. I recently realized that I had been standing with my butt too far out, closing the hip angle and making my kicks even that much slower. Now I'm working on that, but just looking for any other insights...
Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Ron White

Profile:
Re: A powerful left leg kick

Try learning a hip switch for left kicks so you throw them from the back. If you want optimal power out of them.

As far as lead kick power I like to step in almost to my lead foot with my back foot as I'm throwing this. And I table top my leg as I turn my hip over and drive down with my kick like cutting wood with an axe.

Not the best insight but maybe can be of some help.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Mark Knisely

Profile:

Talk to your muay thai instructor
Old 08-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron White View Post
Try learning a hip switch for left kicks so you throw them from the back. If you want optimal power out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Knisely View Post

Both of these are good....

For me learning the switch was vital

Also, with the kicks think of going through the leg rather than stopping at the leg. I like to close distance towards leg I am attacking as I kick, this will crush leg and also create a good angle for a follow up attack.

Also, talk to the guy you pay tons of money too. He will be able to set up good cues.

I know when I first starting training, I hated throwing left kicks and left hooks. Oddly enough after learning technique these are my two favorites and also most powerful weapons.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Knisely View Post
Thats why you are paying him.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

In addition to the advice above (the switch kick is the way to go for maximum power), I would suggest working on your left push kick (think of it as a jab with your leg) as well as the inside leg kick. The latter is very effective when you kick to the inside of your opponents lead leg, just above the knee. There are a lot of nerves in that area and it does wonders when followed with a right straight.

Finally, I know you just started, but try fighting southpaw as well...

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Murphy View Post
In addition to the advice above (the switch kick is the way to go for maximum power), I would suggest working on your left push kick (think of it as a jab with your leg) as well as the inside leg kick. The latter is very effective when you kick to the inside of your opponents lead leg, just above the knee. There are a lot of nerves in that area and it does wonders when followed with a right straight.

The teep should be the first thing he learned along with the jab, the inside leg kick can be used with or with out a switch back but is more effective if you step outside of their leg and follow through. In reality the OP should be getting all of this info from his kru but he isnt so lets see what we can do for him.

I've trained in Muay Thai for about 10 years, under Kru Barry Norman and Master A (Kru Barry Norman was the first westerner to be taught by Grand Master Toddy and Master A is Toddy's brother) Personally I wouldn't advise trying to fight from southpaw until he is fully comfortable/competant as an orthodox, it'd just mess with his thought process as everything is in reverse.

All you can do really is get the switch back dialled in, now that doesn't mean that lead leg must go behind the back leg before being whipped into the target, it can actually be brought back to just in front and then whipped out but you have to be competent at both.

If you can get some footage up of your kick i'll take a look for you, even better I'll give it to one of my best mates and our MT coach to look at for you. Craig Jose is British, European, Power of Scotland Champ at 67,70 & 72kg. He's fought numerous times in Thailand and Cambodia and is the real deal. In fact if you type his name into youtube you'll see some pretty tasty left kick from an exciting orthodox fighter.

Last edited by Leon Robotham; 08-17-2009 at 02:38 AM..
Old 08-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Christopher Day

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron White View Post

As far as lead kick power I like to step in almost to my lead foot with my back foot as I'm throwing this. And I table top my leg as I turn my hip over and drive down with my kick like cutting wood with an axe.

Not the best insight but maybe can be of some help.
Ron, thank you very much for your insight. My instructor did teach me that I should switch before I start to really focus on kicking with the lead leg, but I do practice the inside leg kick as you described. The axe metaphor is great for the inside leg kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
Both of these are good....

For me learning the switch was vital.

Also, with the kicks think of going through the leg rather than stopping at the leg. I like to close distance towards leg I am attacking as I kick, this will crush leg and also create a good angle for a follow up attack.

Also, talk to the guy you pay tons of money too. He will be able to set up good cues.

I know when I first starting training, I hated throwing left kicks and left hooks. Oddly enough after learning technique these are my two favorites and also most powerful weapons.
It's reassuring to hear your experience here. I actually just started working to improve my left hook on Friday night when someone pointed out to me that I need to swivel the hips more to get more power on that punch. I think focusing on the swivel can help with the left kicks as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Murphy View Post

Josh, I will definitely practice this combo of lead leg inside leg kick followed by straight right. It seems the lead leg inside leg kick is the #1 weapon with that leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
The teep should be the first thing he learned along with the jab, the inside leg kick can be used with or with out a switch back but is more effective if you step outside of their leg and follow through. In reality the OP should be getting all of this info from his kru but he isnt so lets see what we can do for him.

I've trained in Muay Thai for about 10 years, under Kru Barry Norman and Master A (Kru Barry Norman was the first westerner to be taught by Grand Master Toddy and Master A is Toddy's brother) Personally I wouldn't advise trying to fight from southpaw until he is fully comfortable/competant as an orthodox, it'd just mess with his thought process as everything is in reverse.

All you can do really is get the switch back dialled in, now that doesn't mean that lead leg must go behind the back leg before being whipped into the target, it can actually be brought back to just in front and then whipped out but you have to be competent at both.

If you can get some footage up of your kick i'll take a look for you, even better I'll give it to one of my best mates and our MT coach to look at for you. Craig Jose is British, European, Power of Scotland Champ at 67,70 & 72kg. He's fought numerous times in Thailand and Cambodia and is the real deal. In fact if you type his name into youtube you'll see some pretty tasty left kick from an exciting orthodox fighter.
Leon, your post is extremely helpful to me. I gathered from the other responses that the lead leg inside leg kick is a very important weapon to practice. I will make this a specific focus to train this weapon, and your cue of stepping outside of my opponent's leg is the most helpful tip I've read.

I'm also interested in trying the partial switch that you pointed out as an additional, maybe slightly faster tool than the full switch kick. My original question was actually about how to get more speed and power on the switch kicks and though I didn't state it, I had been thinking more in terms of body/head kicks than leg kicks. It seems though that everyone mostly uses the left leg for the inside leg kick.

By the way, my gym is Beijing Black Tiger Academy. There are some details on the head instructor here http://muaythaichina.com/. In general, this school offers primarily group classes, so I don't get a lot of personal attention unless I really track someone down to ask my question. But when I do ask, I usually get a solid response. I think I will just begin to be "that" guy who is always seeking out the instructors looking for help.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Day View Post
Ron, thank you very much for your insight. My instructor did teach me that I should switch before I start to really focus on kicking with the lead leg, but I do practice the inside leg kick as you described. The axe metaphor is great for the inside leg kick.

It's reassuring to hear your experience here. I actually just started working to improve my left hook on Friday night when someone pointed out to me that I need to swivel the hips more to get more power on that punch. I think focusing on the swivel can help with the left kicks as well.

Josh, I will definitely practice this combo of lead leg inside leg kick followed by straight right. It seems the lead leg inside leg kick is the #1 weapon with that leg.

Leon, your post is extremely helpful to me. I gathered from the other responses that the lead leg inside leg kick is a very important weapon to practice. I will make this a specific focus to train this weapon, and your cue of stepping outside of my opponent's leg is the most helpful tip I've read.

I'm also interested in trying the partial switch that you pointed out as an additional, maybe slightly faster tool than the full switch kick. My original question was actually about how to get more speed and power on the switch kicks and though I didn't state it, I had been thinking more in terms of body/head kicks than leg kicks. It seems though that everyone mostly uses the left leg for the inside leg kick.

By the way, my gym is Beijing Black Tiger Academy. There are some details on the head instructor here http://muaythaichina.com/. In general, this school offers primarily group classes, so I don't get a lot of personal attention unless I really track someone down to ask my question. But when I do ask, I usually get a solid response. I think I will just begin to be "that" guy who is always seeking out the instructors looking for help.
Glad that you've found it useful mate.

The partial switch is faster but not as powerful because your hips don't travel as far. The more hip in the kick the more powerful it is, the speed will come when you relax and although it will feel awkward to you at the moment it will become second nature.

I think that most people were thinking that if you're an orthodox and you spar or fight against an orthodox then inside leg kick is a good weapon to use. For both of you. Inside leg kick isn't limited to front leg though, you can inside leg kick their back leg with your back leg. Or, if you fight a southy then your back leg to their front. Same thing applies here, step with the lead leg to the outside and kick through.

Ideally what you want is a decent pad man to get you to kick, sort out your technique and then get them rapid fire. Buakaw style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWbgyc7p7Ok wfs.

Both legs get used for inside/outside leg kick, body and head. No point in limiting yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad1PqAK2E6o wfs This is Craig's fight against Steve Primrose. Craig's the guy in the black shorts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkKlgAWxtP4 wfs here is another video of Craig. He has a really neat left kick, fast and powerful.

To be honest with you if you really want to bring yourself on it may be better for you to find a gym which can give you more attention. That way you can learn the techniques under proper guidance and can apply it in sparring with a coach watching who can and will make any necessary corrections. Don't worry about asking questions, if your eager then it will show and they should help. That's what you pay for.

The gym that I grew up in was full of excellent fighters with a couple of top coaches, if the coaches weren't able to give 1-2-1 coaches the fighters would, wasnt long before I went from beginner to pretty advanced to fighting. I guess I was lucky that way.