CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
George Shelton

Profile:
I am having some lower back pain I think I can attribute to tight hamstrings, abs, quads and glutes. My hip flexors are ok flexibility wise but probably need strength.
This tightness has over the past few years flattened my lumbar lordotic curve and given me posterior pelvic tilt. Any suggestions are welcomed.
I am following the WOD as well as some extra KB work and Pavel's "Relax into stretch".

Thansk
Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
You might try a hamstring/back stretch I was just shown yesterday...

Basically, you lay on your back, lift your butt off the ground, raise your legs till they are perpendicular to the floor, and try to straighten your lower back in the same plane as your legs. At this point, you should probably be about to the point where only your shoulders and head are on the ground still (and your elbows which are supporting you by your hands holding your hips, but eventually you'll be strong enough to not need your hands to support your hips).

Now, from this perpendicular to the floor position, keep everything straight, except you are going to bend at your hips, so your back is straight, and your legs are straight, but your hips are bending. You should start to feel a stretch in your hamstring. Once you've got about to the limit of your hamstring, then you can *slightly* bend your back to stretch your back as well.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Anita Tyler

Profile:
George, I have similar issues and it was hampering my dancing. Here's another stretch - a variation of Matt's suggestion. Lay on your back, with your knees bent. Lift your butt off the ground. You can just go to the position that feels comfortable. This stretches your quads, lengthens the lower back muscles, and strengthens the hamstring muscles. As you do it more often, you'll be able to lift your butt higher, so only your shoulders, head, and feet, are on the floor. Shortly, you'll see and feel improvement in your posture. My "tilt" goes away with almost-daily use of this stretch. Hope it helps!