CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Nick Craig

Profile:
Shoulder click

Thursday to Saturday I left the wods in favour of just working on kipping pull-ups and improving my numbers on the dips and overhead squats.

Today I started having quite bad left shoulder pain, mainly around the back/top part. I've just noticed it's clicking quite loudly now when I rotate it (several clicks of different types).

Right shoulder is fine though I've always noticed it seems to do less work on the dips and pull ups.

I was aggressive in attempt to get the kip right and when I couldn't keep going I rested and then jumped back up on the bar to get one if not two more out.

What have I done to myself? Can this be repaired quickly?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
James Myers

Profile:
Re: Shoulder click

I'm not doctor or anything,but I did have my right shoulder completly rebuilt about 15 yrs ago.When my doctor heard my "clicking" after a boxing injury he called it rotatorm cuff damage. I went through some rehab than reinjured it and went through surgery. I would definatly seek medical advice before any more training
Old 11-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Jason Carriveau

Profile:

Possibly a labral tear, but you'll want to get it checked because if you don't it won't heal right on it's own. good luck.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Nick Craig

Profile:

The pain is gone, I'm now stronger than before. I'm guessing that these sounds just go with intense physical exercise (I've never put myself through anything like this before for several months).

The actual shock and surprise at the pain was down to another factor - booze. I knew alcohol 'kills' growth hormones but it might be more accurate to say it slows them. I obviously didn't recover at all on Sunday (very heavy night on Saturday, preceded by a few weeks of diligent cf).

Come Monday afternoon my body began crying out in pain and my energy levels were destroyed. I actually scared me quite a bit and it took me several days to feel normal again.

I'm sure you're all laughing at me but I have learned first hand now - (proper Irish) heavy drinking and crossfit do not sit well together. Fitter you are, the more you feel the toll it takes.

But I've been looking for an excuse to lay off the booze.