CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Matt Cusack

Profile:  
There is very little pain in my achilles just mainly tight which is a discomfort. Here is my ?? I havent been doing any calve specific exercises but have been doing CF for a while now and I am unsure if it this can occur from not working a muscle but working one close to it. I am a climber so it does get a little workout. Just a shot in the dark but maybe the reason.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
If you're a climber/CF'er than I think it's safe to say your achilles/calves are getting some work.

My left achilles has been a bit tighter than my right since a vicious ankle sprain a few years back. I do some joint mobility work a few times a week, and some extra stretching of the area after WO's, especially when they involve sprinting or jumping.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
What are you wearing for footwear Matt?

I've been having some issues with my achilles the last couple weeks or so. I feel pretty strongly it was lack of proper footwear for me.
I had orthotics, collecting dust from a few years ago, started wearing them again, and its improving. Still quite tight and painful, limited range of motion, but getting better. Check your shoes!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Jeff Griffin

Profile:
What kind of shoes would you recomend??
Old 03-16-2006, 05:35 AM   #5
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Hey Jeff
Far from being a shoe expert, others may be able to help you out.
What kind of shoes you wear, totally depends on what you are using them for, basically.
Comfort, support, cushioning, I guess would be a few factors.
I hurt mine, shouldering 200lb sandbags, then running with them.
I was wearing flimsy Converse Chuck Taylors. Comfortable, but zero support and cushioning.
I felt my achilles tighten up, and become very painful immediately after pulling it.
I guess, choose the right shoe for the job you are doing would be my best advice.
Sorry I can't help you more.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
Matt Cusack

Profile:  
I just have been wearing neutral trail runners at work while on my feet. I have different shoes for w/o and running. It is wierd for 3 days my left felt wierd now my left calmed down a lil but now the right is acting the same.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
Andy Schneit

Profile:
Matt,

My experience with keeping AT at bay: (1) motion control shoes with Dr. Scholl orthotics, keeps the foot more stable, (2) elastic foot brace when it's painful while running, (3) calf stretching, (4) ice.

I don't exercise calves every day, but periodically during the year. Best exercise has been heel raises - one foot at a time on a stair, use the other foot to help raise the active foot, then remove it so that the active foot does all of the work on the way down (negative). I work up to 3 sets of 20 once or twice/day.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
Matt Cusack

Profile:  
thanks, do you think I should take a break from w/o's and climbing or did you just cut back a lil?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
might be tendonitis?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:09 PM   #10
Dan Snyder

Profile:
I hurt my feet and left calf wearing work boots that were too small and then agrivated it by running. Custom orthotics (and new boots of course) has brought me back to 100% without too much layoff. I'd recommend getting a pair. Your body may be able to recover, if you remove/replace the injury causing agent, without having to take off a lot of time.