CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Andy Deas

Profile:
I am considering purchasing the TAPS Pull-up Bar for my home gym, but am looking for feedback regarding its stability during kipping?

Yes, I know that I could have someone build something similar, but I do really like the portability (My girlfriend likes me to be able to put my toys away). At some point (probably 8-12 months away) I will have my patio enclosed and that time I will be able to mount a nice bar from the beams (my patio doesn't have a roof on it yet so there are no beams yet), but that won't be happening for a while.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy
Old 02-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Francisco Menendez

Profile:
I just got my TAPS bar yesterday. I don't have time today but I'll assemble it tommorow morning and post back.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
James Falkner

Profile:
I think I am "getting" kipping more and more, and the more I "get" it, the more I realize that the back-and-forth motion should ideally cancel each other out, and result in a net upward movement. I find that when I kip *incorrectly* I eventually find my self in a back and forth *swing*, and I have to stop doing pullups and "reset" (or wait for my body, acting as a pendulum, to swing back to the sweet spot where I can begin kipping again). Mastering the kip is all about cancelling out the forward with the backward and just shooting UP. So, I would guess that TAPS can handle *correct* kipping but you might get penalized (read: fall flat on your face/back) if you do it wrong :-)

Old 02-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Michael Forge

Profile:
From the Power Rings thread:

"The taps bar is extremely sturdy and stable. You do get some wobble while kipping, but there is absolutely no possibility of it tipping. That stability, however, comes at a price: it's feet are VERY long and take up way more floor space than you'd think. Or at least than I thought."
Old 02-25-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Keep in mind, too, that Andy is about 6'3", 217#. When he gets kipping, he gets KIPPING!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
Clay Shelley

Profile:
If it starts tipping, just put some dumbells over the feet. I have to do it for my pull-up/dip tower whenever I kip.

I weigh in at 195#, and two 50#s keep it in check.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Michael Forge

Profile:
Trust me, there's no way this thing could tip.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
Andy Deas

Profile:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I have approval from the boss (my every supportive girlfriend) so I think I am going to make the purchase.

PS Ken - I still weigh at least 219!
Old 02-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
sorry-thought you were still on "full nutritional lock-down"
Old 02-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #10
Francisco Menendez

Profile:
I assembled it today and it took me 15 minutes following the instructions. I suspect assembly will get faster since I now know where everything goes. The unit is very solid and the first thing I tried on it was kipping. It wobbles a little during kipping but no where close to tipping over. It does take a lot more space than I had anticipated. But then there is always the option of breaking it down and storing it in your closet which should take no more than 15 minutes. I think it was a great purchase.